NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished in Washington from 7:30 until 4pm. New penny Gulp shrimp was the ticket for me 5 keepers over 16" measured after a night on ice. Biggest was 19.5 and 4 released 14-17", 2 Stripers 16-18", 7 cats all over 20" with one pushing 30"!
Stripers and cats on Pearl Gulp shrimp all fished under Aggravator bobbers fishing 30" in water from 6-12ft. Guys with minnows were catching flounder just off the ledge in the channel 15-18 ft but no one could hook up without minnows. No luck with Mirrolures or grubs for me but I saw some caught with Grubs in white and chartruese and Electric Chicken style Mirros. I had the pleasure of having more folks watching me than I was them..LOL!! I quickly learned also that you had best keep a trouts head down as long as possible because they are real wigglers and will throw a hook in a heartbeat! Lost the biggest fish of the day for sure! at the boat because I didnt have the net ready and lifted as I reached for it and let him get his head up... :rolleyes::(
First time ever targeting Specks and it was fun! Thanks to everyone for all the good info!

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let the Cats and Stripers go. I don't like to freeze fish and I don't eat alot of it so I release alot to grow and spawn!... I'm more for Mahi, Tuna,Grouper, Salmon to eat!
I didnt try to get pics on the boat this time.... I was fishing alone. (Except for all the "neighbors" boats!..LOL)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave,
I'm trying to work out a Sanford/Fayetteville travel day so I can hit Tadpoles place and gander Mountain while I'm out!!!! Cake offer is still good!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good report sundrop! Nice looking trout, too. I think, bass fishermen especially, have a hard time controlling themselves on the hook set and landing of these soft-mouthed sea trout. It was for me anyway. Yesterday, I took tcfisherman down to the Cape and (because the fish weren’t all that big, and hitting fast and furious) we didn’t bother with the net. I recall three in a row that dropped off the hook immediately, just as I eased them over the side of the boat, even though I checked that they seemed well hooked before hoisting them in. Fortunately, all dropped down “inside” the boat. As I write this, it just dawned on me that maybe you should have me up there one of these days (real soon) so’s I can help show you how to properly land some of those big ol’ papermouths. :D

Dave

PS - I should be making a report of our trip soon – just waiting for tc to send me the pics he took.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
...New penny Gulp shrimp was the ticket for me...
Stripers and cats on Pearl Gulp shrimp all fished under Aggravator bobbers
Sundrop, how were you rigging the shrimp? what kind and size of hooks were you using on the bobber rig & how were you hooking the baits? using a sinker? Did you lose much of the gulp to bait snatchers? Same rig for the trout as the stripers&cats?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I normally use an 1/8 oz jighead and rig the shrimp just like you would to work it as a lure. This day I didn't have any and just used a kahle hook with a split shot as the head to keep the bait down. The bobbers I use are actually called Equalizers and I get them a Wallyworld but any of the "aggravator" types work well.( I prefer to buy locally but sometimes the diference in price is too great!) I like these because of the wire that runs through the bobber with all of the rattle beads on it and the wire allows me to tie to braided and then add a leader of clear mono ( I like 10-12lb) and I use jig heads usually with the wire type hooks rather than the tougher saltwater types because I fish alot of structure and snag often. The larger mono ( most use 8lb) and the wire hook helps me pull slow pressure and bend the hook if that is whats hung. Having 20lb braid as a mainline also allows me to pop the mono and save the bobber if necessary.
I vary the leader length from 18"- as long as I can make it and still cast standing up, which as you can see in the pic is about 5ft since this is a 7ft rod. The rig weighs a bit so it casts well. I add a split shot(this day 4 because I'm out of bigger ones) to the base of the bobber so it stands on the cast. (Some prefer it laying down and "popping" it). I like for it to stand and you can twitch the rod and even if there is a little chop you can hear the beads chatter and I like the subtle noise and only "pop" it once or twice every few minutes if I am anchored, more if drifting.
I'm new at all of this but it has worked well for me so far.
Jeff, I caught the stripers and cats on these rigs also and I had them set as deep as you see in the pic so I was close to the bottom in the area I caught them in 8-9 ft water on a ridge that slopes to 15-18ft. Look closely at the pic and you can see the bare hook just above the reel off to the left.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Thanks 'drop - so you threaded the shrimp onto the Kahle hook as if it were a jighead?

I nose hook some plastics in freshwater, usually with octopus/circle hooks. Doesn't seem like a wise choice with the combination of gulp shrimp and [-]pirhannas[/-] pinfish. Have been wondering about the best/typical ways to rig gulp for things like popping corks, carolina rigs. I've only fished them as jigs in my limited salt exposure.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeff I've seen some hooked by the tail like live shrimp and some hooked across the middle as well... I havent had issues with nibblers much around here and caught 5 trout on one Gulp and just changed it because it had been in the water a long time. ( I keep them in an old bag with the juice and reuse them too) I also keep bit/broken ones and use it to tip other baits and have caught cats/bream on tidbits cut from saltwater Gulp leftovers. They make a good addition to the hook with red wigglers instead of bloodworms for Spots too...

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
good Job Sundrop Im Going To Try And Get Down There Next Week, And Try To Find Some Specs. And Stripers. Thanks Chris P.s. Dave Going Out Of Town This Week End I Get Pics To You 1st Of The Week.....chris

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good stuff sundrop! You're more experienced than you give yourself credit for. A lot of fishin' savvy went into your "rigging" process and I particularly like to here the details of what others do to catch fish. Be sure, I will take some of your techniques to the water with me next time I go fishing.

Dave

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's right Breadman... I'm a good student..LOL!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Drop I enjoyed reading your stuff and also a nice catch you got. Maybe when you make it down this way we can fish a few hours in my job boat in a local pond.

Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.