NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. As Gary Dubiel in Oriental will tell you, I am a total novice to fly fishing. I purchased one of Gary's flyrods (Temple Fork 9ft. #12....nope it is a 8 weight) and I bought an Okuma Integrity I 8/9 flyreel. I'd like to spend some time on the water in Oriental practicing with the idea of doing some saltwater fly fishing. I've got some great looking flies (thanks Forrest!). Here are my questions:

• What do I need to purchase as far as Fly line or tippet, etc. for this outfit?
  • What species could I target and when in the Pamlico/Neuse or near shore out of Beaufort?
  • Anything else you'd like to tell a total novice besides "Don't fish near me!" :D
Thanks for any direction guys!
Randy

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Randy, I just can't resist. I have never used a Temple Fork Outfitters rod or an Okuma Integrity reel... but it sounds like you are putting a trout/puppy drum reel on a Tarpon rod. I would find that a great excuse to buy another rod in 8 or 9 wt and a Tarpon reel. I would go with the 8 wt in your locale and if you have a spare spool you might want to put a 9 wt line on it and then you would have a good excuse for yet another rod. Right Capt. Gary??!!??:D

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Randy, I'm going to agree with Sinker man on your set up. I have both a 8wt Temple Fork and the Okuma Intregity 8/9 reel. I love the combination and have found both the rod and reel to be a great bargin. I believe the 12 wt rod is going to be a bit much unless you are going to target Tarpon, in that case you'll 12 size reel for the additional capacity. I guessing that you'll be targeting Redfish and Trout in which case the 8wt rod would be a better choice. I have found the action on the TF rod to be a little on the fast side and works better with a little heavier line. I use Scientific Anglers Saltwater lines as they weigh a little more than other lines that I've looked. Sinker man's idea of using a 9wt line on the 8wt rod would also be a seriuos consideration. Back the reel with a 30 pound braided backing. I read books about building leaders, nut it all seemed overly complicated. A guide that I fished with in Florida uses the 9 ft tapered flourocarbon leaders and trim off the last 24 inches and replace it with 20# gamma Flourocarbon so, I adopted his technique and have been satisfied with it so far. Have fun and get ready to be addicted.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
That will work great with what you have. I would suggest going to wally world and looking for their clearance items first. If they have any scientific anglers WF8F fly line on clearance you can get a decent line for about the cost of 2 or 3 gallons of gas. The bad part is they probably don't have it on clearance. I have bought it as cheap as $4.00 per line but usually in the fall of the year. It makes a decent line to fish with and is a lot better than using a $60 -$75 line to pratice in the yard with. I have several different outfits and a budget so that is what you will find on all my fly reels. If I were using just one outfit on a regular basis then I think I would be asking the same question you are. The 8wt is a good all round size for you since it works well with trout, puppy drum, smaller striper flies, atlantic bonito and false albacore and small bluefish (1-3lbs). It is also appropriate for pompano in the surf or freshwater bass. Take it with you offshore for small mahi - mahi, spanish etc.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Randy, I looked thru some of my stuff and I have what you need to get started. I found you a WF8F line and WF9F. I also have some flyline cleaner and leaders along with a spool of backing. That should be enough to get you fishing. AL

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I picked up a couple of Cortland WF8F "floating rocket taper Green/Vert" line (333HT 30 yards) but didn't have a clue what I was ordering. :p How line should you put on the reel? How does the tippet thing work? I'm serious about being green here! LOL! So any direction on spooling a reel is most appreciated. I like the idea of trout/puppy drum in Oriental and taking it along for dolphin offshore. :cool: I bet I will be hooked on this once I figure it all out. I've bought a couple of fly fishing books too but just haven't had time to look at them yet. Too much to learn and too little time/money. :) Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! Thanks Al. I'll return the favor with some stuff too. I love this site! :) Now Al maybe I can talk you into going fishing with me on my new boat so I can learn how to do this. :)

sinker man said:
Randy, I looked thru some of my stuff and I have what you need to get started. I found you a WF8F line and WF9F. I also have some flyline cleaner and leaders along with a spool of backing. That should be enough to get you fishing. AL

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
There should be a chart with your reel if it is new that tells how much backing it will hold with say 90' of fly line. You spool on that much backing and then tie your fly line on to the backing using an albright special knot. (Make sure you are tying to the unweighted end of the flyline.) Then you spool on your fly line. Using a nail knot you tie on the leader and using a surgeons knot you can then tie on a bite tippet if you need one. (for blues and spanish) The leaders I am sending are what I tie directly to the fly. No need for a fine tippet then a bite tippet. They should turn over and drop your fly softly enough and still afford some tooth protection. For trout I use 10lb leaders with no tippet unless I have a hunch there are some big ones about. Then I might go up to a 16 if I move up in fly size also. There are instructions with the line I am sending. I think a 10lb or a 12 lb will be plenty around Oriental. Other folks more schooled in fly fishing may steer you in a better direction. I only flyfish about 10 percent of the fishing time I do get which lately hasn't been much. I don't have the skills,patience and stubborness to use a flyrod on windy days. I do like to use flygear at night around well lit docks, bridges and marinas though because the wind is usually nonexistant and the fish are tuning in on small baits in the top of the water column.;) AL

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am about to get statred fly fishing, been wanting to for years. What is this buisness about cleaning the flyline? I also read in another post about waxing the line? What am I getting in here?:eek:
JD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.