NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my local pond I fish at it is full of just 3 to 4 foot snakes but they are only as big around as your pinky finger I dont know what they are and I need to know if they are poisonous or not:confused:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
What do they look like besides being long and slender? What shape are their heads? I doubt there would be water moccasins in Hickory but there could be. Sounds like it could be a garter snake.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I found a great site on the various reptiles & amphibians of NC. They give tons great descriptions & pictures on every type of reptile or amphibian in NC. Amphibians and Reptiles of North Carolina - Davidson Herpetology Laboratory

Take along a didital camera... or ur camera phone, take pics of them & compare them w/ the ones on the site. We had a lizard in our house ( the black ones w/ stripes & blue tail). I'd always heard they were poisonous, my husband said they weren't so I looked it up. Careful out there.

*** side note about the site... to get to the information you need, click on the pictures. If you click on the links under the BOOKS it will just give you info on the book.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like just a water snake. I added a pic of one of the many my son catches when we go camping up on the New River. He has never been bitten by one, the are pretty doscile (sp?) if handled gently.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

** A good rule of thumb is if it's head is triangular, or diamond shaped, it's poisonous. Notice how the head of the one the boy is holding is rounded.

Reactions: NCPIERMAN

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
A real water snake is not friendly at all. They are meaner than just about anything I`ve ever caught. You`d THINK they are poisonous. Whatever it is it`s highly unlikely it is poisonous. If it`s not a moccasin or a copperhead, Doesn`t really matter.
Also long slender snakes are generally not poisonous. Most venomous snakes are shorter (stubbier) Tails end more abruptly instead of a long taper.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Brown water snakes arent poisonous but you can get a nasty infection from a bite from any reptile... Just be careful and keep some alcohol based hand cleaner handy to wash with after touching them or getting bit. They don't have fangs but they do have fine teeth for holding their prey that will break the skin....

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yeah, after Zach finishes playing with them my wife always washes his hands down real good with hand sanitizer. A bottle of alcohol usually goes in our camping box too.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I've seen some pretty big water moccasins in northern Duplin county in Albertson. They are about the size of your forearm. Not kidding either.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have a snake question as well that I will add on to this. I am new to this part of the country and because I do a lot of things outdoors I tried to read up on the poisonous creatures of the area. I know that the timber rattler is semi-common as is the copperhead (I have already seen 1 of those).

I live, and mainly fish, around the Durham area. Are there water moccasins this far "west"? The maps I have seen seem to show them mainly along the coast and into the eastern waters. However, I do a lot of wading and do not want to walk up on one! Are they outwardly aggressive at all if you leave them alone and give them space?

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Oh yea they are out that far.....they just aren't that easy to see...some great camoflague...:) If you leave them along they will usuallly fall off the log or what ever and go about there business...its the spring of the year that they are so mean ....:eek:

There are snakes in Duplin country along Goshen Swamp that have never seen mankind before....they are thick, long and mean..:D

Along this streatch of eastern NC you had better add the Diamond Back Rattlesnake....that bad boy is really mean and dangerous....they get big like 6-7 footers are common with 13 rattles...and as big around as your biceps...:cool: You can hear them singing the rattles a long ways off.....

I was on the 4 wheeler one afternoon riding a cutover and hear something...couldn't put it together ...sounded like the wench spinning....checked the controls and stuff and it was still going....looked down about 3 foot away was a great big monsterous mean looking diamond back rattlesnake....I let him have the 4 wheeler....:) Grabbed a big stick and moved him away.....

Few weeks later one was at the dog pen singing at the dogs.....he didn't make it so good..boy took his head off with a 12 ga...:eek:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Michael, That one looks like a Queen snake...used to find them in New Hope Creek in Durham. Pretty mellow, they live in the water most of the time and all they really like to eat are crawdads. Generally brown with a couple of lighter stripes.

Y'all are right, the water snakes aren't venomous, just meaner than heck. Most are more ornery than the couple of cottonmouths I have run into.

Doubtful that you'd find cottonmouths in Durham. Anythings possible, just not very likely. Folks around here swear they've seen em, but nobody can produce one.

On a good day in these parts, you can't spit without hitting a copperhead.

Angel's on target with the Davidson lab. they actually maintain a Herp atlas, and you can create an account and report any frogs, lizards, snakes or turtles you see (includes sea turtles). They monitor the data, cause it is used for a bunch of scientific stuff.

Diamondbacks in NC can get pretty big, but if you fish the middle Cape Fear, down around Fayetteville, watch out for the little guys. There are a bunch of Pygmy rattlers down in Cumberland and Bladen Counties. Cumberland's got all six of the NC Venemous species: 3 rattlers, Copperheads, Cottonmouths, and the ever elusive Coral.

·
Registered
321 Posts
fishfinderphd,the area you are fishing around Durham has copperheads and they are common everywhere.The presence of timber rattlers is extremely rare and the historical record contains a very few specimens positively identified by experts.Most herpetologists suspect they may no longer be present in this area.With apologies to Scott there are no records of water moccasins in your area.There are several types of water snakes in N.C. and the ranges include Northern ,Banded and Brown watersnakes.They are as nasty as described by others and are almost always called Water Moccasins by everyone.The red belly color does appear on one other variety ,the Redbellied watersnake which probably does not appear in your area so the white ,yellow or gray color of watersnake bellies goes right along with the white ,yellow,or tan color of true moccasins.All this information is available on the previously mentioned website or just google snakes in N.C.You will find that the range of the cottonmouth is in the costal plain and not that far west.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just to add a little story to this... this past weekend we found a copperhead (I think) @ the place we were renting & Holden. Couldn't make out exactly what it was, all I saw was it's head & it looked like the head of a poisonous snake. It was hidind behind the couch I was sittin' on & where Bryanna had slept the night before. Before we could catch it, it was gone!

Reactions: NCPIERMAN

·
Registered
497 Posts
What is the law around here on diamondbacks?

I am a snake LOVER and I NEVER---- NEVER kill a snake unnecessarily. One of my fav things to do is catch a snake at a state park, watch the crowd gather around me, and show them that snakes are cool and deserve our respect (and a stern warning to NOT mess with them unless you know what you are doing, and my policy is that I never pick up a venomous snake--- I know the difference).

That being said, I live in an apartment complex with TONS of small kids, and if there may be rattlers around, I'd rather know that they are becoming a pair of nice boots rather than waiting for junior to step on him. Is it legal to dispatch a diamondback in a suburban area? I know it's unlikely but I'd rather know the law (and I'd rather NOT have to catch it and release it 10 miles away, I'm not riding a live rattler in my car!).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Matt if you live in Wake Forest you are not in the range of rattlesnakes in N.C.Google snakes in N.C. and check out the range by clicking on the scientific name.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks Robert, I was doubtful about running into one around here, but you never know.

Where I grew up in SC, I was WAY out of range for rattlers, but one day when I was a teenager I had my beagle out in the field just playing around in some tall grass, and she started acting funny and sniffing around, and I heard that unmistakable "psshhhhttt--t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t". Both her and I got the heck out of dodge, was odd how the dog (who had never even encountered a rattler before so much as I could tell) knew that this was something NOT to mess with.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts