NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
No, but I've seen their demo videos on you tube. There ia a company in Cleveland thay makes the old skimmer cats in fiberglass /carbon fiber and all carbon fiber models. Those are pretty high performance ROWING CATS. I would imagine you would have a lot of money tied up in a fishing outfited Skimmer but you expect that If you are a speed lover.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
This craft appears every now and then on the yak-related forums... Generally does not get a very warm reception, but at the same time, very few folks have actually tried fishing from one. Might be just too radical... folks might be "scared" to try it, especially sight-unseen...

If you've got a chance to test-drive one, especially fishing from it, not just taking a short lap around a small pond, I'm sure a lot of folks would like to hear what you think.

Good luck
Lefty

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Cool
Every wooden paddle craft I've seen has been beautiful.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The thing is wind is a problem for most small craft period. It will affect a wave walker more, but when the wind is blowing even the lowest profile kayaks can be annoying to fish from. Some days it is better to use a kayak to get to a good wade or bankfishing location. I have noticed many new kayakers don't ever get out of their boats to fish. If you don't mind standing in the water or on the bank and fishing wind is only a factor coming and going. That is where I think the wave walker would lose ground on a windy day. On calm days and short trips I would prefer the wave walker over a single hull even though I can and have fished standing in a single hull sit in. Long trips and calm days...I'd rather be in a fast single hull. It's all a matter of compromise and how you go about things. That's my .02.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Jeff, compare weights of a stitch and glue composite Kayak with a plastic one. I think you will be suprised. You would probably want to use 4mm oakume plywood . If you wanted to use 3 mm on the tops of the hull and the coaming around the cockpit you could shave off a couple of more pounds. I think it would be faster with a couple of inches of rocker and about 2 more feet of pontoon length.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.