NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys…I have not seen many reports about your success (or not) so far. For myself, I have fished about every other day, weather permitting, between North Creek and the Bayview Ferry on the Pamlico River. One day was spent at Indian Island, with ZERO results. My tally so far is just 13 flounder, mostly in the 11 - 13 inch zone. I have caught and kept 1 keeper, which was a fat 19 inches. Most fish were caught at or very near the bank, in less than 3 feet of water. All were caught on 1/8 ounce jigs and 4 or 5 inch Gulp or Z-Man scented baits. Time of day and weather conditions varied.

By this time last year I was limiting every day (the then 4-fish limit) and was catching and releasing 8-10 smaller flounder every trip. This year has, so far, been a real disappointment. I am hoping things will improve during the second half of the season.

I would really be interested in hearing about your results, with similar information provided about your technique. Here’s a pic of the only fish I could keep.

Sky Cloud Botany Gesture Sculpture

Fish Natural material Fin Tail Marine mammal

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Pretty sure catching quality sized Flounders is over. On the 15 day of this month is was opened to commercial gig & nets. The other night there were over 30 boats with lights in one small creek.
Yesterday all we caught were 8 short Flounders & one about 17"...... ICM

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BW and ICM——Thanks for the replies. I am surprised there have not been more…my feelings would not be hurt if somebody out there has done well. Maybe we could learn something? I do wonder if some anglers have just given up on the Flounder season…a couple of people I know locally have just flat out said that 1 fish a day is just not worth it and that they weren’t even going to try.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Since September first fished for Flounders on 3 separate occasions. Twice with soft plastics Z-man's, Vudo Shrimp & Gulp. Caught biggest & most with Z-Man in 5". No doormats, just dinner for two.
Watched several videos from Fisherman's Post library for rigging & refresher using finger mullets. Spent more time casting netting than fishing. Mullets fishing was way to boring, slow & produced the smallest Flounders.

Flounder season should be closed to both recs & commercial if it's really in dire need of replenishment. ..... ICM

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have been fishing the surf, throwing tins for Spanish, Blues, Pompano and keeping a bottom rig out for flounder (tried cut shrimp and gulp). Caught the first three multiple times on multiple trips but not a flounder yet. OH
I have been 4 times for flounder and brought home 2, both in the 20” class. The catch has been limited to mostly 12-14” fish. The north and south side of the Pamlico from South Creek out and around Judith Island answers the where, and a 1/4 or 1/2 oz Bucktail jighead with a gulp swimming mullet attached is the lure.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
192 Posts
Nice fish...most of us aren't targeting flounder at this point given our overly generous daily creel limit. At this point, they're bycatch for me. I pull in a 13-16" fish and just throw it back (doing my part to improve the stock).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Very nice flounder! Bet you got some nice fillets off that guy. The big ones are so easy to clean.
I recently caught a nice one also using a z-man paddle tail. I actually thought I was hung for a moment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I fished the river at oak island the fifth thru the eighth and able to get a 17, two 19s and a 21, saw others catching as well with 23 being the longest. Went back fished the 19th thru the 21st and got one at 20. Caught several juvenile gag grouper a couple mangrove snapper and a red grouper all about 8 to 9 inches long during the two trips..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts