NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read on another fishing forum that weakfish/sea trout are being decimated in NC waters by commercials and being used for cat food. Is this true? Am I allowed to mention or copy from another forum here?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I've seen the post you saw.
It was one of those accounts that wasn't first hand knowledge. It was 2nd or 3 hand.

But even so, weakfish are plentiful. If they can be used and maybe put new shoes on a kid, gas in the boat, and a cold beer in the fridge..Cat food, dog food, bird food, people food. It don't matter to me. No different than harvesting soybeans. Nobody wants a bowl of soybeans for supper but they go into a lot of other things.

Weakfish is one of those species that are wildly abundant for several years and then they back off. Then they'll surge again.
They aren't endangered by no means.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
all I ever see of bycatch is it is shoveled back overboard. Actually using it for something would make way to much sense for them to do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.