NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of talk about rigging something weedless- how is this done? Can it be done with a standard jig head?

I've searched the internet a little but everything I've found uses special hooks- which I assume are a bass fishing design? I'd like to try it with the jigs and lures I've got if possible.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Any soft plastic can be rigged weedless with any hook style or design. Just gotta unwrapp the box and step out of it.

Guitar strings and super glue is a good way to make things weedless also

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If you have a standard jig head, then no ... It wasn't intended to be rigged weedless.

As fish fiend states, a little imagination can go a long way to make them weedless.

However, If you want something that was intended for a weedless rig, you'll need to buy specific hooks to do it "properly".

For example, weedless jig heads typically have a weed guard. Or you can buy the shakeyhead or swim jig heads that have a curly screw built in.

I mainly use offset EWG (extra wide gap) hooks and either go weightless or Texas rig with a bullet sinker for a weedless setup.

-Jeff

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yes, it can be done with any style hoo or jighead except trebles. Search for "how to texas rig" a worm. Switch from web to pictures and it will come up with different ways.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Check on youtube. Not sure about jig heads, but I have seen a way to add weedless to a fly. Should work with jig heads also. The video i saw was showing how make a fly weedless, using momo or flouro, while on the water. This was done when a certain area was fished that had debris in it, that was unexpected.

·
Registered
941 Posts
This is just an example. You do not have to have the springs or barbs for this to work. If you go in at an angle, you can get the worm to hang perfectly straight. I use BWC jigheads when I shakyhead because the hooks are longer. If you use a jighead that has nothing but a ball you will need a little super glue to hold the worm from sliding down the hook. I do this also when I am fishing stumps or heavy cover for reds with Gulp shrimp.:D

Attachments

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
940 Posts
There are weighted G-lock or Offset Worm hooks with the weighted portion in different spots on the hook. These can be rigged weedless by simply burying the hook tip into the bait after normal rigging.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Good advice above. Another way is to take a regular straight jig head and put 2 small bends in it right behind the "barb" that holds the soft bait on. This will put a jog in the hook shank so you can thread on the first 3/4" or so, exit the soft bait, turn the jig head/hook 180* and bury the hook point in the bait so it still lays as it would if threaded on completely. I use a pair of old fishing players that have a nose that's about 1/4" wide so that's how I from the double bend jog.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts