NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent some time this weekend fishing with some friends and my brother as it was my last weekend before I head back to school. Not many fish were caught but the memories are worth it! Saturday 8/09 anortnc7 and I headed to Lake Norman to see if we could try and catch some bass and maybe get some white perch for a little dinner as well. We haven't been there in a couple years but we used some past history and tried some new things to have an alright morning of fishing. We fished from 6:45-11:45 before heading home. Anort started out getting 5/6 blowups off a spook and landed a nice 2.8lber. I threw a white buzz and a bomber long a and had some blowups and lost a 2-3lber off the bomber. We moved around throwing c-rigs and did some cranking as well and anort picked up 1 spotted bass trolling and a bass on a c-rig off a point. We fished and fished with nothing else until about 11:30 when I threw an ultravibe speed craw on a c-rig at a fish attractor and got my only fish of the day. Wasn't horrible...wasn't the best.... but it was nice to get out and catch some bass in a different spot. Sunday, today 08/10, I did some honey hole fishing with anort and trangler. Started off the day using a 10'' worm and landed a 14'' fat 1lb 5oz bass off a c-rig. Nothing else at that pond....so trangler and I went on to anther honey hole and caught a couple and even doubled up! Went home for dinner and after that I took my little brother out to the honey hole again and he put a hurtin' on the bluegill! Using bread, he landed 21 bluegill and his PB bullhead!! It wasn't about the size or quantity this weekend but it was nice getting out with friends and my brother and catching some fish!!

Fish

Anort bass at LKN

My 13.5'' bass at LKN

14'' bass off 10'' worm

Trangler and I doubled up

Little brother

Little brother PB bullhead! 1lb 10oz and 15.5''

Thanks for Reading!
Tight Lines :)

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
Sounds like some fun was had. Thanks for the report!

Reactions: Abert43

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
That's what it's all about...time spent on the water with people you care about...good stuff!

Reactions: Abert43

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
Pretty fish but just so you know that's a white cat fish, not a bullhead. Still a beautiful catfish though. Good fishing!
Never knew there was such a catfish. I have once again learned something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
White cat is a dumb name because often they are totally black. Very commonly mistaken for large bullheads (because they are closely related) we have them across much of the state
Yea, it's sometimes difficult for anglers to positively identify what kind of catfish they have caught. I agree with you 100% on the coloration issue. [FONT=Lucida Grande, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]All species of catfish can vary in color due to local strain, morph, or variant. Time of year, type of food their feeding on. High levels of carotenoids in shrimp, crawfish, & blue green algaes enhance yellow, oranges, and reds in fish. Water conditions such as PH, temperature, acidity, and hardness also play a role in the coloration, and health of all fish.

[/FONT]
You know the Snail Bullhead, as well as the Flat Bullhead are often misidentified by the untrained eye. Most Carolina anglers often refer to them generically as "MudCats" or mistakenly as "Yellow Bullheads" due to their color. Not being aware of the distinctions between the 7 Bullhead types.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts