NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing on the White River (just inland from Emerald Isle) has been poor since all the rain from Rita and Tammy...(too fresh for anything but catfish and eels). At least that was the case up until this past weekend.
I went out Thursday morning about 3 miles up from Swansboro and was happy to see mullet minnows for the first time in weeks....happier to see something cutting through them in the shallows. I keep on rod ready complete with a Bass Assissin paddle tail electric chicken, which my family has had much sucess with. For a little while, every other cast brought in a speckled trout. I also hung, but lost, the biggest channel bass of the year that morning.
I called my son-in-law (Parrothead) who lives in Clayton and suggested he consider a weekend in Stella as the action was picking up again. (His preschooler son, Dylan, is a master angler in his own right, having caught a 30" puppy drum near Stella last Thanksgiving...we all remembered it as being a little smaller, but he insists it was 30") and Parrothead's wife was casting a cast net and catching puppy drum in the Emerald Isle surf when she was about six years old.
The son-in-law and grandson arrived in Stella Friday night and we got an early start Saturday morning.
We caught flounder, trout, channel bass, and even croaker, bluefish and a respectable large mouth bass during the day Saturday and again on Sunday. We both caught our first striped bass Saturday. It was a real hoot.
My wife joined us and caught her first specs on artificial lures (she prefers shrimp and minnows).
But what we were most excited about was the fact that, without fail, each and every fish landed had hit the Bass Assisin paddle tail shad in the electric chicken color. We were all amazed at it's success. I just returned from the local retailer where I purchased the last two 10packs of electric chickens. Can't wait till the weekend!:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a picture of the 30" drum in my NC Angler album. Before anyone doubts the size of the fish, they need to realize that the 5 year old in the picture stand at 6'3" tall!:D

I think the electric chicken is gonna give the gummi worms a run for the money. A truly amazing grub!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Wow! Very Nice Striper! Glad to hear the White Oak has finely cleared up from all the rain. I might have to haul my boat up there for a shot at a Striper or two. Did you catch those on the Electric Chicken too?!?

I haven't fished the White Oak since I was a very young man - any advice as to where to find those stripers would be welcomed :D

If your are ever down my way (Topsail), I'll return the favor.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. As best I can remember, almost every fish (from largemouth bass, bluefish, etc. to striper) were caught on that paddle tail Bass Assasin in the electric chicken color. I was using a 5' light action graphite rod and an ultralite Cardinal reel with 10# test Stren line. My heart was in my throat the entire time he was fighting...which seemed like 30 minutes. I had heard the stripers were up there...actually had two guys come floating by the house this spring who said the only thing they'd caught that a.m. were "two stripers...both too small to keep". That perked my interest. I kept hearing bits and pieces about stripers in the White Oak, but could never seem to nail anyone down as to the hows and whys of catching them. (I'd actually seen them rolling on top water several times...but thought they might be the same gar I'd seen way up river over the years in the fresh water).

I have to admit, about the only thing I know about fishing for stripers is what I've read on this site (and years ago, I lived in South HIll, Va and saw them caught at the base of Kerr Dam on a 20" long black plastic Alou Eel lure.

As soon as my son-in-law netted the fish and laid him in the boat, he called my wife (who had stayed home that morning so my grandson could get his beauty sleep, and asked her to check the size and limit regulations in a booklet my son-in-law had put together for me. Everything was clear except, you guessed it, the striped bass.

There was a toll-free number to call for more information, so Parrothead whips out his cell phone again and calls the NC Wildlife people and finds, you guessed it again, they're closed on weekends. They work, evidently, when no one is fishing.

We measured the fish and found he was a little over 28" and decided to go by the only info my wife could find which was unclear, at best. We think a 28" striper (from inside the "V" of his tail to his nose) is legal. One per person per day. We kept him.

Two minutes later, I caught a nice flounder. Then a respectable large mouth bass! Then my son-in-law, not to be outdone, caught his striper. All in about 15 minutes time.

My striper, by the way, had a stomache full of corn cob mullet minnows. An even dozen.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
[font=arial, helvetica]Scambling to find the regs sound familiar :) So now I keep a copy of the regulations in my a dry box inside my tackle box and I keep a lamenated copy on my boat. While it may sound like overkill, sometimes I find myself fishing for something I don't normally target so having the rules handy is good. Also some of them are complicated, like the one for your Stripers (below is an excerpt from the NCMF rules) and lately my memory is poor :)

(A)
Albemarle Sound Management Area: contact DMF for seasons, areas or other limits; Atlantic Ocean year-round: 2 per person per day at 28" TL minimum; Other coastal areas (excluding Inland Waters-regulations set by Wildlife Resource Commission) year-round: 3 per person per day at 18" TL minimum.

Here's the link to the NCMF regulations page. The page also has a downloadable pdf file that you can print.

http://www.ncdmf.net/recreational/recguide.htm

[/font]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clear as mud! Ha! I think you might have a good case in court if you used this as your defense. I've had people tell me the 3 18" applies in the White Oak...others, the 1 28". I think a call to the NC Wildlife office in Raleigh may be wise.

I realized I had not fully answered your question regarding location of the catch. We caught these two very close to the Stella bridge in a location commonly refered to as the Brickyard...actually next to the Wildlife Impoundment marked on most maps.

If I can get a clear determination on the regulations regarding WO stripers, I'll post it.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I'm certainly not an expert but based on the wording I would think the WO would fall into the 3 & 18' rule not the 2 & 28" rule. If you look at navigation charts, there is a dotted line shown at the inlets that shows the official seperation point of the Atlantic ocean from the inland waters (it's called the COL REGS DEMARCATION LINE and is usually in red)- the WO is certainly behind that line. But I think you are wise to call for clarification. Let us know if you find out anything.

Thanks for the location information.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Ms. Winslow must be very new to NCDMF, I think they are all trained to give a first name only, and I don't think it's supposed to be their own.

Anyway, 3 & 18" is good news. Now we just have to work on catching that many!:D I'm gonna start "angling" for another trip to WO tonight. I'll let you know what we come up with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well back to the electric chicken subject ,i to had some really good luck this weekend on the specks ,some at the harkers island bridge and other coming from the haystacks and beaufort inlets ,but i have to say that the white with pink tail grubs still out fished electric chicken in all three locations .And come to think of it not a single fish was caught with a gummi worm ...........go figure .:confused: Maybe its because they were the sour ones ?:eek:

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Now I'm pretty sure if the weather is good Thanksgiving, I will pull my boat up to fish the WO. Mom lives in Jacksonville, bout half way between here and there and I'll be there for Turkey day anyway. I went stripper fishing about 10 years ago and really got hooked. What a great fish to catch and even a better one to EAT!

BTW - I picked up some paddle tail shads in electric chicken today - want to fish them against the Gulp and see who wins. :D

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I ate the last of my GUMMY WORMS while watching NOVA on PBS last night, so for right now I can't compare. Have y'all tried eating pink tails, gulps or paddle tails yet? :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Parrothead...got Ms. Winslow's name of the website. She was the "expert" on striped bass in coastal areas. Stopped by Coastal Marine after having little success in my search for electric chickens in Morehead (Coastal was out too!) and talked to a fellow who seemed to know lots about striped bass (photos on the bulletin board backed this up), he said he used bucktails in the Neuse, fished for them through JANUARY!, and often enjoyed large catches of the bass. However, he insisted the size limit was like puppy drum...slot and all. 18" - 27" Go figure.
We tried the Mr. Twister (white with pink tail), with no success this past weekend. Several people have mentioned bucktail. I may try one if I run out of the paddle tails.
I haven't tasted one of the paddle tails, but I've heard they taste a lot like....... chicken.;)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Fojoloy - you have hit upon my downfall with using gummy worms for bait..... I eat them all so the only thing I catch is a belly ache...........

No slot for the Strippers! It's either 18" or 28" depending on where you fish - that much I know for sure. Makes me want to follow that fella and offer to "put back" all those 29+ inch fish for him....:)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Now I need to drag out a map and see where on the WO it goes from NC Marine Fisheries jurisdiction to NC Fish and Wildlife. Do you know? Cause if the waters are in F&W's jurisdiction a fishing license is required. There should be a sign posted on the River where the jurisdiction changes as well. The lower part down by Swansboro is NCMF, but I'm not sure about Stella.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are signs posted prominately about a mile and a half above the Stella bridge....near the county line and before you come to the campground area at Long Point landing on Hillsfield road. I rarely go that far up river this time of year...normally see it often though in the spring before the largemouths go on bed. No need for a license...at least for now.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hampstead,

I think Seabiscuit has or is sending you an email 'bout the ramps in the area. There are several public ramps in both Swansboro and Stella. I would suggest if you're coming to hit the striper spots, that you put-in in Stella. The channel, though marked fairly well, is real tricky coming upriver from S-boro (see my post about needing a new prop), more oyster rocks than water in many places. There is a public ramp near the RR tressle, but it is not very well maintained. There is a $3 ramp at a campsite that is very near the "hot spots". If you turn down Morristown road off of Hwy 58 you can follow the signs to that ramp and maybe a couple others. If I were trying to launch a 19' or 20' CC like you have, I would go for the $3 campground ramp. They have plenty of parking and a fairly well maintained ramp.

The only other suggestion I have is to find a bag of those Electric Chicken BA paddletails. I don't know if the WO is ready for gummi worms.....yet.:D

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Thanks Parrothead. I did get the email, read it right after I made the post.....figures - that'll teach me to read my email first.

I'll follow your advice and put in at the campground. I already picked up the BA electric chickens. Also bringing the Gulp and a selection of freshly tied Bucktails. Those gummy worms are too dangerous for me...... (read post about my stomach aches:)).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.