NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out friday night fishing the ICW at onslow, No fish but a pretty good story. First my pole about bends in half and its a 11 FT. stiff action, but line snaps. At the same time my buddy down from me pole does the same, and the same thing happens. Well roughly 10 minutes goes by and our other friend comes back from his truck and ask where his pole went. We go over to where it was set up and the surf spike was broke in half and the rod and reel was gone.

I couldnt stop laughing in astonishment at this time. I have never seen something like that before and ive caught 30+lb stripers off the cape and nothings done that before. I felt bad for laughing but the pole did float to shore about 2 hours later with the line snapped. Lucky for him, he had just bought the pole a few hours before hand.

Like i said no fish but interesting night. As for sunday just one speck off a jerk shad in New river. Better luck for me next weekend i hope.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Those nuke subs are hard to stop on surf tackle aren't they. I've seen that happen a couple of times back there but Never 3 times in a row. I never was the one it happened to either. Both times were in Banks Channel. Once was on a spot rig baited with shrimp and it nearly broke the rod my uncle was fishing as it pulled his sand spiike over. it slammed it down like it was hit by a speeding car. It broke his line immediately. I saw another one get slammed nearly as hard a little closer to the inlet years later. Nothing broke but the hooks were straightened immediately. My guess was tarpon, but who knows?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.