NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Sinker Man, My wife and I are fishing Atlantic Beach tomorrow just for the day. I will let u guys know how we did. I like flounder but I will take whatever bites. When I get my boat to the sound / bay, I hope it will be soon I have to change some wires and gas lines on the motor. I would like to get Clams and Mussels on low tide from my boat. When do crabs start running? Al :D

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
My son Josh and I had the pleasure of joining Capt. George Beckwith last Thursday in breaking in his new Parker boat (see attached). We saw four Cobia and Josh caught his first (33"). We chased one that looked over 50lbs. but he wasn't interested in anything we threw at him. Also went inside for awhile and caught a nice puppy drum.

Then my wife and I went fly-fishing on Friday with Capt. Gary Dubiel and Lisa caught a 17" puppy drum within 10 minutes of her first time fly-fishing ever. I got skunked and looked really bad with the fly rod. :) Capt. Gary was very patient and an excellent fly fishing teacher (for any of you looking for instruction). I'll be working on that casting motion this summer. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Haven't been fishin' myself but Captain Rick Bennett's reports are sounding real good. He says the spanish bite is on real hard and some kings are in there too. Capt. Rick also says the flounder are coming out also. Man I can't wait to get down there to Wrightsville and catch me some biggin's. Oh and if you want good fishin' reports just check out Rodman Charters website (theres a link of it on this site) it loaded with good info. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
NCangler---Hang in there on your saltwater fly fishing. You will catch ONE ! In the meantime, if I send anymore fly and streamer samples, should I mark them att'n: Lisa ??Regards, Forrest:D

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
:D :D That might be a good idea! She already seems much more proficient than I! Apparently I have to "unlearn" some bad spinning casting habits. I can flick a bait with a spinner pretty well, but fly fishing is a different matter. Thanks Forrest.

fojoloy said:
NCangler---Hang in there on your saltwater fly fishing. You will catch ONE ! In the meantime, if I send anymore fly and streamer samples, should I mark them att'n: Lisa ??Regards, Forrest:D

·
Registered
791 Posts
we hit bear inlet Saturday evenign with out any action at all.. went back inside to the yacht house and caught two very small blues on grubs.. and that was it.. the rain hit and dark fell so we headed in.. sounds like you guys faired better than we did.

rye

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's more like it guys. I was beginning to wonder if anybody fished at all. Due to the distance and price of gas coupled with a bad economy I am having a hard time making it down now and it's killing my soul, but I'm sure that will change. Freshwater fishing just don't fill that void. Al, I would have bet money that the crabs were out and about by now. I can"t answer that one.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Accordining to my sources trout,flounder,drum,blues,sheepshead,and black drum on the inside: spanish, sharks, cobia, kings, tarpon and blues on the beaches.Sportsman's pier has a good report. Triple S pier usually has one but hasn't got a current report right now. Try the following link [ http//www.sportsman'spier.com/home.asp]

Hope this helps! Sounds to me like the jetty would be a good starting point.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
My wife & I went fishing Tues. at the sportsman pier. All we ( my wife ) caught was one mullet on an incoming tide. It was slow for everyone on the pier. They said early that morning blues were in, but that was it. I asked a guy about the crabs and he said they haven't seen any. You know that sayng ( You Should Have Been Here Yesterday ) Well today is going to be Yesterday. :D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AL,
That kinda of reminds me of an incident years ago. I had a bad case of cabin fever and decided to go to Jennette's Pier at Nag's Head and see if I could catch the first drum of the season. Fished about 3 hrs. before finally catching a 31/2# croaker. I was the only one on the pier and that was the only fish caught. I took it down to the pier house to weigh it and wound up giving it to the guy running the pier. When I went down to the pier house I noticed quite a few people had ventured out to fish. It didn't take long to find out why. As I walked in, there was the croaker hanging from a scale right where everyone would see him and the radio announcer was saying that they are catching a few croaker on Jennette's up to 3 1/2 #. Your post proves that people are still playing the same old game. I hope you read Sportsman's fishing report. They painted a prettier picture of things. Sounded like you could catch about everthing but a cold. Ha! Ha! :D Hang in there, Just a matter of timing. Sorta makes me feel bad about helping them over promote things. Sorry about that . They were saying about the same thing I was getting from a couple of other sources in the area, so I ASSUMED it was legit.:eek:

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AL,

One other item : CRABS! My guess is they are molting . There should be plenty around but when they molt they sort of hole up and remain inactive until their shells harden. I'm just guessing on this one. I'm sure somebody on this board knows a whole lot more about crabs than I do. I wish someone would educate us both about crabs, cause not only are they good eating but I'm sure they figure pretty heavily into the fishing puzzle at times. :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Crabs are a favorite food of red drum and big trout. Years ago when the locals drum fished the surf with hand lines, I'm told a half hard crab on hook was a one of the choice baits. Drum will create a good slick when feeding on them in and behind the breakers. Commercially, crabs are fished for year round. They go to deep water in the winter. They get more active in warm water. We catch them in dip nets in grassy areas of the sound in summer. Females mate when they molt and hide in the grass protected by the male- Get two with one dip. Another good use of menhaden oil , a couple drops will settle ripples on water to where you can see crabs on the bottom in the shallows. This about covers my limited knowledge on subject. Know a lot more about cooking and eating them. Good crabbing to you!!:)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've heard that the commercial crabbers bait their traps with a male when they are molting to catch peeler females which of course bring more money. It would be interesting to know if there are somewhat predictable peaks in molting activity. I don't think I've ever heard any info on that. I have heard that blue crabs will travel long distances to get to high salinity water to spawn. I suppose that it would be a waste of time looking for peelers in low salinity waters as it would seem that the mature (legal) females would migrate toward the ocean prior to molting. The females seek out the males as it takes a hard shell male and a softshell female to make millions of microscopic babies. These babies swim up in the incoming tides and sink down to the bottom in out going tides. This sort ot selective swimming carries them into low salinity nurseries. They leave to spawn as they mature. All I know about this is that spawning happens in the warmer months. I was hoping someone could clue me/us in as to the timing of the molting and spawning. For all I know it is a random summertime occurence.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've heard that the commercial crabbers bait their traps with a male when they are molting to catch peeler females which of course bring more money. It would be interesting to know if there are somewhat predictable peaks in molting activity. I don't think I've ever heard any info on that. I have heard that blue crabs will travel long distances to get to high salinity water to spawn. I suppose that it would be a waste of time looking for peelers in low salinity waters as it would seem that the mature (legal) females would migrate toward the ocean prior to molting. The females seek out the males as it takes a hard shell male and a softshell female to make millions of microscopic babies. These babies swim up in the incoming tides and sink down to the bottom in out going tides. This sort ot selective swimming carries them into low salinity nurseries. They leave to spawn after they mature. All I know about this is that spawning happens in the warmer months. I was hoping someone could clue me/us in as to the timing of the molting and spawning. For all I know it is a random summertime occurence.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks FOJOLOY!

I believe that I had a misconception of the timing of the molting process at the very least. For a long time I assumed that they more or less molted about the same time in large numbers. Apparently there are no magic triggers to cause this to happen all at once. So much for my theory of where the crabs were. Sorry AL JR !!! Thats strike 2 and pretty humbling.:eek: LOL All good though cuz we are learning and thats a good thing!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
sinker man --- I found your post about the 3 1/2 lb. croaker very amusing. Another thing that amazes me is that I can be looking out my window at white caps with a full gale blowing, but the area radio stations and tv are saying come on down to the beaches, weather is great.

For weekend fishing ,my rule of thumb when friends or relatives are visiting to fish, I always tell them to plan on staying three days. You'll average one good day out of three . I'm speaking from my locale.

What I love about this site is that we can sort out the actual realities of fishing among fellow fishermen.;)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
My neighbor and I have flounder fished together for the past two days. When we are together in my boat, he is the captain. He has spent most of his life on the water around here and he can take my 18.5 ft. McKee straight from marina to Drum Inlet without slowing down and no markers. I compare his boating ability to that of the preacher who could walk on the water ( the preacher knew where the stumps were ).

Sat. we caught 8 legal flounder and many too small to keep. Today, not a single keeper. We did catch 12 blues trolling in and just behind breakers 1 to 3 lb range. Just enough to get fish blood and human blood spattered on deck. I really can't complain when a big flock of seagulls follow my pickup all the way back to the house from the marina and land in my back yard both days, but I am going to be very envious when the offshore members report in for this weekend.:eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.