NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mainly talking about fishing for red drum in the shallow grass.

What are your "favorite weighted hooks for weedless rigging" paddletails and jerkbaits?
Do your paddletails swim without barrel rolling?

Please include the size and weight and size of lure such as:
4/0 Gamakatsu hook with 1/8 oz weight on a 3" paddletail

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. I've been catching puppy drum in a spot with a lot of snags and I'm getting tired of re-tying. Picked up my first weighted hooks this past weekend. Going to try them out Sunday, hopefully.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use a mustad or daiichi 5/0 bait holders 1/8 oz with gulp jerk baits for skipping under the mangroves. Just started using the DOA clinch weights on circle hooks. Can't recall the mustad name/model but the daiichi is a buttdragger

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have had good luck using the daiichi buttdraggers, size depends on the bait used, mainly 3/0 with varying weights for the 4 inch mirrolure and bass assasin paddle tail baits.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I hadn't seen the DOA pinch weights before. I think I might give them a try. I've got plenty of regular worm hooks in my freshwater box, so this will put them to good use. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Trokar hooks are sharper than you can imagine and the magnums are strong. You will not miss a hookup due to poor penetration and they ain't likely to straighten out on you. I've had them come completely thru the forehead of a largemouth with almost no hookset.
The wide gap weighted version 3/0 1/8th oz fit's 4" Zman paddlerz about perfect, 5/0 for the 5"(I think 1/4 oz is as light as the 5/0 comes in). I've fished the 5" mirrolure provokers on the 5/0 weightless.
The TK160s & 170s are almost $3.00 EACH. It's a lot to pay just for a hook, but you do get a lot of hook.

NOT saying they are the best thing since sliced bread or they're all you should ever use, just saying that if you find yourself with an Xtra $8 in the tackleshop they really are worth a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts