NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this was something odd.

The missus was on vaycay this weekend in Myrtle on a "Girl's Weekend" so of course this meant I could fish all I wanted for as long as i wanted. Good times.

So I'm out at the lake, and the bream are biting, no biggie. The sun starts going down, it's 6:15ish, and I switch to a bottom rig, cause I knew the catfish start biting around then. So a nice little whiskered fella pops up and says hi, and it was cool. So since I didn't have the ol' battle ax calling me asking "when are you coming home?", I figured I'd hang out a bit longer. Sun goes down further, and it's getting downright dark.

So I look in my tackle box, and sure enough, there's a little glow stick in there that my buddy had picked up at Walley World in the 50 cent prize machine as a joke. In my 19 second thought process, I think "Ok, the bait is floating on the bottom, but if there's a glow stick on it, that looks interesting and the fish might come check it out". I tie the 1" green glow stick about 3-4" from the hook, toss the whole shebang in there about a first down or so off the dam.

Bam, bam, bam, these catfish are hitting these worms like crack. And let me tell you, GREAT night of fishing. I only wished I had come more prepared for night/cold, so I could stay out longer.

Did I stumble on something new and amazing? Or is this old news? Or is it coincidence? Anyone ever tried this?

Reactions: rangergreg281

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
They make a little attachment to put those little glowsticks on rigs. I also have bottom rigs with glowbeads that you can charge up with the light of a flashlight etc and they glow underwater. It draws fish out of curiosity....
last time I went to the pier I used my glowrigs and when everyone around me was catching spots here and there I was pulling doubles, and bigger fish right beside them. I think the glowrigs made the difference...

Reactions: BCdogs14

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i figured that was what was going on. wasnt sure.

good times. from here on out, i'm trying that. a lot.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Isn't that the concept behind the green glowing night crawlers??

·
Registered
840 Posts
Bankandsurf and I have been attaching them on the tips of our rods so we can see when the fish hit them. I will definitely have to give that a try. Sure wish I had thunked of that before.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is there any validity to putting the glow beads on in the late afternoon?

or just dead of night?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
is there any validity to putting the glow beads on in the late afternoon?

or just dead of night?
Think water depth and clarity more than time of day..
dark water + glowing bait = Come get me!!!!:D

·
Registered
715 Posts
Just imagine this, there you are, a nice 8 pound catfish swimming around shooting the breeze with fellow fish talking stock options, football, baseball, girls and how great their fins and tails look on them and how fine they look as they shimmy through the water, whatever you fish talk about and you notice a bright light on the bottom of the pond, out of total curiosity you decide to check it out and lo and behold someone has left you a mid day meal fit for a kingfish or the finest catfish, you suck that nice glob down and before you can even leave a fishtip, you feel a slight pain in the lip and a string pulls you up to the waters top and there is a monster with a big stick in one hand and a big net in the other hand and before you know it you are laying on a bed of ice.
:):)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
geesh Tad, glad I have a strong conscious..LOL!!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
P E T A = People Eating Tasty Animals......... Not only am I a member, I'm President. LOL!!!

Reactions: Dave1273

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that story reminds me of a theory my buddy and I have.

the fish we catch.... are the idiots.

you'd think by now they'd learn what happens when you eat worms? some have... but we catch the idiots who haven't learned.

anyway, tomorrow night is the big all nighter, and I'll post a report for you all on the great glow stick adventure!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.