NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine went last Friday and the guy who sells bait across from the ramps didn't have any shad for sale. Does anybody know if this is happening often or just a fluke that day? Heading up on Thursday and need to know where we can get some shad.
Thank you in advance for any help offered.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We were there last Friday. We only found shiners. We didn’t look around too much as we were too excited to get out on the water but didn’t see any other guys selling bait on the way in. This was our slowest year in a while. Typically we wear them out on the herring and shad. May have just been a fluke thing but they didn’t seem to like our shiners too much. Only caught about 10 between two people and only one was keeper size.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We went yesterday and could only find bass minnows from the guy across the street from the ramp and I purchased his last 4 dozen and said he was done for the year, said he hadn't had shad or herring all year.

On to the fishing. Like you we usually have a good time catching 10-20 per person easily, this year not so much. 5 dink stripers, 6 catfish and 2 large mouths. Not sure if it was the cold front or the bass minnows but I would put my money on the bass minnows, as usual the guides who have herring or shad had catches over 100 and we were fishing in the same general vicinity.

Going up one more time on Tuesday and taking my son. He has a contact who lives near Weldon and he may be able to score us a few dozen shad. I might try and net some locally and freeze them to take with us Tuesday. I know they will not be as good as live ones but better than bass minnows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts