NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a couple posts mentioning striper fishing at Weldon but don't know a thing about the area or the fish. Leads to a million questions: What's the river like at normal stage in that area? Is this boat, shore or wade fishing? Is the current suitable for fishing from kayak? Where do you put in? Which direction do you head? Trolling, casting or bottom fishing? What are the best times of year up there?

Job #1 this year is to cross stripers off my list.

Sincerely, Striper-free in Raleigh... (that's catchy, may have to change my handle)

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Nice moniker but hopefully you wouldn't have it long. ;) If anyone ever wants to change their username by the way, just send me an email with your current username and the one you'd like to have and I can do that for you.

I haven't made the pilgrimage to Weldon but have heard a lot about it. Maybe this year I can hook up with one of the guys that knows the ropes there. Hopefully Striper-Sniper, Hot Spot, Capt. Gary Dubiel, Duke of Fluke or another member that have experienced the Weldon Striper event can clue us in on the action. ;)
Sincerely, Striper-free in Raleigh... (that's catchy, may have to change my handle)

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Jeff - I've never been but a good friend of mine went last year in his Kayak - said it was a blast. He went up in the middle of the week and on a week-end - said the week-ends were very crowded - lots of boats so is best to go during the week. Also, once the season closes - the fish are still there for a while and you can catch and release - lot fewer folks then too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I grew up in Roanoke Rapids and still go back to fish the Roanoke River not only during the striper run but after the stripers have left. This is a very dangerous river especially when water is released for power generation. There are actually three ramp locations below the tailrace. The highway 48 at Gaston is first. The river here is extremely rocky. I would not even think about launching my kayak or canoe there. Friends have drowned here. Several miles downstream is Weldon with a two boat ramp off highway 301. This location is below the fall line (Coastal Plain & Piedmont) and there are few problem rocks downstream. Once again, you best be aware of water release plans. Finally 15-20 miles further down there is the access area with multiple ramps on highway 258. During the spring run the stripers are traveling upstream and will pass through this spot first. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you talk to the people at Roanoke River outfitters, they can tell you pretty much everything you need to know. Also, they can hook you up with bait, tackle, and a guide if you're so inclined. If you want to catch bigger fish, I'ld go to either Lake Gaston or Roanoke Rapids Lake. No crowds, no boat restrictions, bigger fish. The bite isn't anywhere as intense, but the reward is greater as far as size if you are willing to devote the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.