NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few days were the days to be on the Roanoke! Put 100 plus in the boat on Friday (fished all day), and put 87 in the boat yesterday before noon before heading home. Rockfish started spawning around noon on Friday when the water hit 68 degrees, saw a few huge females, but of course they weren't biting. My friends trolling motor got molested quite a few times with over zealous bachelors looking to spawn. Most of the ones we caught were in the 13-17 inch range, biggest was 22, smallest was 11, had a great day of putting fish after fish in the boat :). I also saw quite a few fly fisherman this year putting just as many in the boat as we were. All in all, a great yearly trip.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was one of those fly fishermen. We did about the same as you. We just stopped counting. We got there about 5pm Friday and put probably 30 each in the boat until dark. Tried to catch some on topwater during the fights but could only get follows. Saturday morning we probably caught 60 in the first hour and a half right at the rapids. They artificial bite definitely slowed down by about 9am. But did notice the ones using live bait we catching them very steadily. We left at noon as well.

I have never been there when they were spawning that much. Definitely a site to see. When you would bring a fish to the boat there would be 30 males following behind it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts