NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had about an hour to kill tonight so I grabbed the fly rod and went to a pond to practice my casting. I thought a fish or 2 might be fun too. Not such a great session, timing was off and I kept throwing tangles. That's not the strange thing though.

What was strange was the fish. No takers on the first 2 streamer patterns so I tried a small nymph. That got some hits, mostly bluegill. Times running out and I make one last cast... slurp. Looks like another bluegill splash but then it pulls hard and moves fast. He settles down deep and I'm not really moving him with about the most pressure I can muster on a 4x tippet. Then the line goes slack and I'm struggling to keep with what seems to be a run right at me. I catch up with the line and pop, up comes this little bluegill. Huh? I think my little bluegill just spent some time in the mouth of a good size bass. :D

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Biggest speckled trout I've caught yet was on a little pinfish I had hooked on an ultralight, fishing for "bait" with a tiny gold hook.. Pinfish had swallowed the hook, trout had swallowed the pinfish is the only reason I made it to the boat with him after playing him out on 6lb mono.. Very possible you are right!

Reactions: tallastro

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was once casting a 4wt. for bluegills for my granddaughter, I would cast and she would work the popper back. One of many small gills she caught was attacked right at the boat. when we landed the 3lb largemouth the bluegill was gone and the popper was hooked nicely in the bass's lip. strange! She was more excited about the pretty little bluegille than the big bass!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.