NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First sucessfull 08 trip.. so the pressure's off now.

I havent fish'd offshore NC coast since I sold my boat, did a little fishin at the end of 07 and spent some time at Jordan at the end of last year, but today was great to be back out at it and with Mike as well.:D

For some funny reason.. the weather doesnt like me:p:rolleyes:
Mike mentioned a couple days ago about fishin. I didnt hesitate and I was in no matter the game-plan (or weather). So.. of course it's rainy, windy, cold.... ha ha hahaha...

First off.. the water clarity was excellent. Water was beautiful today! I havent seen it like that in a while, so just the boat ride out was great.

Yup, the Atlantic is still there, and yup, she's salty! he hehe...

Fish were more than cooperative. Mike had the idea for flatties, but adapting to changes,, it quickly turned to black sea bass. First few were ok.. we thru back at least 30 somethin fish.. but then we snag'd some nice 15 inchers:) So decided to hang a little while longer.

My best black bass came when I decided to try different combinations... I started with 3/0 circle hooks, then switched to tru-turn's with my Okuma AV-80 w/ 17 lb Yozuri purple hybrid line and 4 oz egg weight.
I mixed it up using dead bait and gulp tab white/green dealies, then penny color'd 3 inch shrimp gulp. All baits worked.

As a challenge, I grab'd Levi's AV-50 Okuma rig'd with 6 lb Berkley Tourn. line and a 4/0 Tru turn J hook. One of the BSB spit up a rock shrimp, so I put it on a hook and tossed it out. I turn to talk to Mike and Wham! lost everything! So re-rig'd and put on the penny gulp shrimp and that little 6 ft 6 graphite rod doubled over and the fight was on. I knew it was somethin heavy.. but never expected a over 15 inch fat bellied black sea bass!!
That was alot of fun on that light of tackle for sure!

Anyhoo.. long story short... we had a great time. Crappy weather, but that is Carolina fishin.. (at least for me) :)

Thanx Mike for the invite, had a great time and plan to enjoy a fresh black sea bass dinner tonight! Let's pick a cold day in Feb and do it again! :p:p

Oh yeah,, Mike caught this snake/eel lookin thing with a king mackeral lookin head.. I never seen anything like it and I had no clue what it was, but the thing was fat and round and over 3 ft long... I wasnt about to touch it neither! Knowin my luck it could've been one of them billion volt rare sea bottom eel's that you shouldnt touch.. so it got released to do whatever it was doin down there again.. :)

P.s. Mike as you can tell... my hands finally thawed out enough for me to type! :) Thanx again!

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
AWESOME REPORT AND THANKS FOR SHARING THE DETAILS MAKIN ME FEEL THE COLD AND LIKE I WAS THERE,HAVE NEVER BEEN OFF SHORE AS OF YET BUT ONE DAY I WILL GET THERE,IVE LIVED HERE NOW 3 YEARS GOING ON 4 AND HAVENT DONE IT YET EXCEPT FOR GOING OUT AND HELPING WITH THE WOUNDED WARRIORS FOR M.A.D 2

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When fishing in the cold (be it offshore or otherwise I'd guess) is:

keep your feet warm/dry - Wool socks for me are key, even when wet they're warm

Block the wind - Performance type weather gear - i.e. gortex.. etc..

Keep your head warm - wool hat - even when wet, keeps your melon warm

Awfully hard to keep hands dry and warm,, but a good pair of gloves. I have gortex lined hunting gloves, but switch over to neoprene gloves if I know for certain I'm gettin wet (rain, ride out/back in). When fishin, the use of them open and shake heater packs work excellent for quick warming wet cold hands

Like Mike and others I'm sure, I dress in layers.. poly pro thermals, sweat pants over the top and some type of waterproof pants over that (Dri-Ducks in my case - kinda like frogg togg's). Same thing for the top, Tshirt, poly pro's, sweat shirt and then my hunting jacket with dri-duck top

The performance bib and overall deal is the way to go though if you're out there all the time or alot to where you can justify them.

Oh by the way.... That sea bass dinner was out of this world! 3 cheeze rice, butter'd corn, home made blackberry jam on toast, sweet tea and some good ol' BSB filets! ;) (mine's the dainty sponge bob plate) :rolleyes::rolleyes::p:D

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Yummy to da tummy!:D

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Looks good Dave. Mine go in the pan tomorrow.

I echo your comments about the clothing. Even though it was cold today and the water was cold, I honestly stayed warm the whole time. I wear 4 layers of clothing up top and three on the bottom with two on the head (one is waterproof). The key for be though is the water proof bibs with Velcro and elastic closures, same for the jacket - can't be warm if you are wet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
UuuRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. That's hardcorps fishin' men. It plain don't get any better than BSB fillets. I had plans to get out Saturday but the wife changed 'em on me. Probably a good thing, I heard the seas weren't as friendly as forecast. If you don't mind sayin' what was the water depth where you found the biguns'?

Dave

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
60 ft +/- of water there about's

They were very cooperative and hungry.
I will say this, if you had anything that resembled a rock shrimp,, they were all over it! (penny gulp shrimp would be a good choice).

Thru back alot of small ones, and quite a few just a tad under, but when we got the rhythm on the larger ones.. the few we decided to keep were in the 15 inch or over club.

Yeah, great eats for sure! ;)

Yes, the weather was snotty, but worth it.... :)

Here's the ones I took home to eat:

I caught most on 3/0 plain circle hooks using about 1 oz.- 4 oz egg sinker Carolina rig'd
then switched over to 2/0 - 3/0 then 4/0 Tru-Turn hooks, same weights.
One rod with 17 lb Yozuri and one with Berkly Tournement 6 lb
No leaders - hook to line
Mostly just drop'd straight down and upswung gently every now an then...

The frozen squid I brought never thawed out, so I used whole sardine minnows and some of Mikes gulp tabs and one penny color'd 3" shrimp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.