NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas, I am heading to the west Jefferson area, north of Boone
in a couple of weeks. I have never fished in the mountains, only fresh and salt on the coast. What should I bring to fish on light spin tackle? I would guess small spinners and twitch baits, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Depends on what and where, really. There are smallmouth in the region, and trout. You can't go wrong with topwaters like the pop r, or tiny torpedo. In line spinners like rooster tails or Panther Martins. I catch most of my smallies on Yamamoto cut tail worms and Zoom uv speedcraws fished split shot rigged.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Big horse creek is the best stream up there in my opinion. N fork of the new is good for trout as well but gets more pressure. if your looking for smallies though that's where you want to go. Plenty of access areas along hwy88 west of Jefferson. For trout in the hatchery supported water, use 4lb test (I like river green) a split shot about a foot from the hook, and half a night crawler thread onto the hook. For smallies, rooster tails work well in that part of the river.

-James Peavy-

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
There are still some trout around, but at the moment the streams are getting pretty low and clear. Big Horse, Helton, Cranberry, N. Fork, Three Top and a couple of other will all have some holdover trout...spinning rod or fly rod.

Smallmouth action should be good regardless of heat and low water conditions. All the stuff mentioned produces, as well as a variety of soft plastics. Fly rodding for smallies is popular and a variety of topwater poppers, sliders etc. and streamers will tempt river smallies. Water level in the rivers is okay...but if it drops another couple of inches I expect many folks will have difficulty navigating canoes and yaks....but wading will be good. Hit the farmers market in W. Jeff. on Sat. Usually one or two guys there tying flies etc....may give up some local update on trout...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. It is mostly a getaway with the wife, but thought I would throw a rod or 2 in the truck. Sounds like I can keep it simple with some of the small plastics, spinners, and cranks that I already have, and have a shot at a smallie. We are staying near what I believe is called low bridge rd. I appreciate all the help. We'll give it a try.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Enjoy the weekend. Hit the Cheese House in downtown; visit the Churches of the Frescoes in Beaver Creek and Glendale Springs; Hit the NW Trading Post on the Parkway in Glendale Springs, and drive to the top of Mt. Jefferson for spectacular view; and terrorize lots of fish in your spare time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.