NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed west from my salty home to vacation next week in West Jefferson with the family. Would like to catch a few fish of some kind. Any advice for a mountain fishing newbie? No fly fishing for me and will be leaving the canoe and kayak at home(will rent if need be), but I have a decent collection of bass and panfish tackle and lures.No secret spots need to be divulged just a little help and how are the water levels now?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Water levels are low but three top creek should definitely still have some trout in it. Go up three top road a couple miles and just dive in somewhere that tickles your fancy. 4lb test, smallest split shot you can find, and about a foot until a bait holder hook. Thread a Canadian night crawler up the hook and pinch off the other half leaving a little below the hook. If you see a crawdaddy snatch him up and throw him on the hook. I was there with the fly rod three weeks ago and caught this beauty and several larger but none as pretty. Largest was an 18 inch brook that was beat up from the hatchery but still good eating. That stream gets a lot of pressure in April and May but people stop fishing when it gets warm. No waders needed now just don't let the water get up around your thighs or you'll be breathing quick short breaths.

- James -

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
I work at New River Outfitters if you need info on renting canoes or kayaks. Personal Message me if you want my advise on any floats or good access areas for wading/ bank fishing. If I am not working, I may be interested in fishing with you and showing you what I know. Water level in the river is still good today but dropping and will be getting low again by next week unless we get some more good rain. It will still be ok for floating, but hitting rocks and getting stuck will be more common. River is clearing and will be cleared up this weekend (unless we get heavy rain upstream).

·
Red X Angler
2,197 Posts
Thinking about hitting the New River up in Todd on 7/25 (this coming Saturday), never have fished that section of the New River before. If anyone feels like going, shoot me an PM and we'll hook up.

·
Red X Angler
2,197 Posts
We had a great day on Saturday, probably caught close to 40+ fish on the day. Caught a few largemouth, 5 smallies, a chain pikerel and a slew of red breasts and bluegill. The bite was so good that Conners buddy John was catching red breasts on a buzzbait. No trout though but everything else was biting!

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
10 Posts
I fish the area year-round for trout. Summer is usually slow, as is Jan-Feb but there are still fish to be had. Smallmouth are in the creeks now too. I love it up there. Big Horse Creek, Helton Creek are my favorites. I like to stay at the Buffalo Tavern Bed and Breakfast on Buffalo Creek (which I have yet to fish). I see that your trip was some time ago. Sorry my post wasn't helpful for that trip, but if you get a chance to go back, I certainly would.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.