NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess a lot of folks have been doing it all wrong. Nothing against using bait but one of the biggest reasons is in this article.. Two hours looking for bait?
Would using these two hours fishing with artificial obtained better, worse, or similar results? Newspaper News Font Publication Newsprint

Galaxy S4. Slimkat 4.4.2 official.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Even if I set out with intentions of using live bait, I have my back up plan in place onboard! I'm not wasting a lot of time chasing bait.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I catch live bait incidentally when fishing for drum and flounder. I'll have my bubble bucket or flow troll bucket with me and a cast net, and if I happen upon some mullet I'll grab some, but I don't make it a priority. I much prefer fishing with artifical lures but like to have a variety of options when needed. About the only time I have to have live bait with me is if I go to the pier so I can bounce around the pilings for flatties.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kind of like actually hunting deer as opposed to standing on the side of the road and waiting for your dog to run a deer to you
Can of worms. Hold on.
I know no one is disparaging the use of bait here and I almost wish I had some the last few trips because the drum are very present but are ignoring almost all artificial. I say almost because I've been picking measly oneseys and twoseys a day. Another dude I know fished the same spot yesterday high tide and said he was sitting in a school but didn't get a sniff. I wasn't there but I trust him.
The one I cleaned yesterday had a couple of blue claws and mud crabs in it. Why it hit top water I can't even guess.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
sometimes all I wan't to do is sit back and watch my rod twitch or bobber bobble. Depends on the day and my mood. Nothing wrong with it either way. Fishing doesn't always have to be "work".

·
Registered
108 Posts
I guess it really depends on the fishermen. I've always seen using live bait as the best and cheapest way to learn fishing. You can spend thousands on gear to throw nothing but artificials, live bait is a cheaper and easier option and it sort of teaches you about bait and what the fish are doing. Some people swear by live bait for a life time and there is a reason why guides always leave that option on the table, very little learning curve other than putting that live fresh shrimp in the strike zone and waiting. That all being said throwing a 7-10 foot cast met for a hour can be back breaking and dirty work so that leaves you to either spend money on live fresh bait or learn to master artificials....

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Live & dead both have their places the fishing universe. Just not a "go to" for most people & places I (we) fish with.
I find it more rewarding to fool any species of fish with artificial baits.
Do always try to look for bait to see what to throw & where. ... ICM

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
And to the @&& who claims I am a liar because he saw me at one of the Boots on the Boards events, fishing with shrimp. Out of the 13 or 14 events I held for wounded Marines, Soldiers and Veterans of our Military, I would bet you that I did not have a rod in my hand two dozen times. Most of those times I was teaching one of our guest how to work a lure for blues and Spanish. Yes, I don't doubt there was a few times the rod had shrimp on it. I might have put the shrimp on myself again in an effort to teach one of our guests how to fish. I can think of entire events where I never went on the pier I was to busy making sure things were running smoothly. I think I even remember helping one who was missing a hand bait his hook. IF THAT MAKES ME A LIAR, I WEAR IT PROUDLY.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
$5 for some live bait is cheap insurance when kids are abord. Squid pinnies and hoggies and maybe catch something else.
Without a doubt, make it fun for kids & some adults with short attention spans.
I'll make catching bait part of the fun. Let them help find the bait, carry the bait bucket & try throwing the net. .......... ICM

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kids do indeed love catching bait. When I chased bait I'd get obsessive and it went from time consuming to fun to frustrating to midnight.
There are few things that are more fun for kids than fishing and they don't care if they are catching bait or shells so long as the action doesn't slow down. When it does prepare to reach in the cooler for backup entertainment. Food, drinks etc. Kids and boredom = no fun out in a boat when it's choppy or 100 degrees.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you are going after doormat flounder, especially targeting them in deeper water you will use that live bait or you probably won't be bringing one home. Using all arties is fine and noble and impressive on internet boards, but is not for everyone and does not work in all situations. In other words stop with the Artie Elitism!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.