NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were walking our dogs around the dog leg beach access yesterday and saw something in the water that we couldn't identify. It was approximately 10-12 feet long (what we could see at the surface), had no dorsal fin and a horizontal fluke. We saw it come to the surface twice and then it was gone. At most it was 25 yds out and was amongst several swimmers. Any ideas? Anyone else see it?

I am glad my wife saw it or I would have never believed my own eyes.

A few years ago I saw a small pilot whale in EI, but it was a whole lot further off the beach and the only reason I knew it was a pilot whale is because someone saw it on the pier. I was hoping whatever I saw yesterday made its way down to the pier, but there's no mention on the fishing report.

It was pretty neat, nonetheless. Then, on the drive back to Charlotte I saw a black bear on hwy 41.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
manatees come up every year to the cape fear.....may topsail but every year some are at Wilmington...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have personally seen two Manatee at Topsail and one swimming up Snows cut...which was 10 feet from me.
Super Cool.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Go to Avalon Pier's Facebook page and look at the pics. There have been two recent sightings of manatees swimming under the pier with pics to boot.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i have seen two last year in snows cut,first time one came up beside boat and made a snorting sound,didnt see it until it made the noise, liked to had peed in pants. bet it was 12 feet thing across back was wide as a kitchen table

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Saw a whale (like 20+ feet) come up about 20-30 feet off the end of seaview last summer. You never can appreciate how massive they are until you see one up close.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts