NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new 30 HP Tohatsu outboard motor this morning and got a long explanation about using non ethanol gas. No problem. I already knew about that subject and listened politely in case something I didnt know was said.

After I got home the thought hit me. Ok, I was told if I was going to let the boat sit a couple weeks....dump the old gas and get "new". But, what about all the time the gas sits in the gas station tanK ????

I asked where I get my gas how often it is delivered to them. Once every couple weeks was the answer. I'm already hosed Tommy!!!

I know some will say....get some of that gas preservative and use that. Holy heck, that stuff costs more than the gas.

So how long do you think you can really let gas sit and it not be "bad" for the motor????

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
a $9 bottle of Stabil marine additive treats 80 gals of gas. If you use the boat every couple of weeks it's not a big deal to have it , but if you use it less, or times of the year it's used less it's dang cheap insurance to me. It's also good to have on hand for those times when non ethanol gas isn't around and the fishing must go ON!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Anybody's guess, but I think alot depends on storage conditions like:
Full tank?
Boat stored in temp controlled garage or sitting in a slip on the water?
Eth or non eth gas?
Water separator or not?

If <4 months old, I don't even think about it.If older I hope I added a stabilizer..

If you think about it too much it can drive you crazy, like if my boat is 33 yrs old and I've never run the tank dry, should I assume there is some 30 year old gas still hanging around in there?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a $9 bottle of Stabil marine additive treats 80 gals of gas. If you use the boat every couple of weeks it's not a big deal to have it , but if you use it less, or times of the year it's used less it's dang cheap insurance to me. It's also good to have on hand for those times when non ethanol gas isn't around and the fishing must go ON!

I have to find me some of that because the additive I am seeing is going for over $20 a bottle and doesnt do 80 gallons.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Unless you need very specific items for your boat stay FAR away from the boat dealers. They will sell you comparable products (maybe even the same in different packaging) for a lot more $$!!

G

·
Unless you need very specific items for your boat stay FAR away from the boat dealers. They will sell you comparable products (maybe even the same in different packaging) for a lot more $$!!

But the dealer said his $45 gallon of Yamaha 2-stroke oil was way way better than WalMarts $20 gallon of 2-stroke oil. He even said he'd give me a dollar off! :)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I used to be a technician for FORD. We had 2 big tanks outside that held motor oil. One was 5w30 one was 10w40. Sold as Motorcraft oil. The truck that came every couple of weeks was from White oil company. He would pump oil in the tank, bring in his paperwork and get it signed. I asked him one day how many stops he made, he said eh 5-10 depending on the day. I said really? That many Ford dealers around? He laughed and said nah I hit all the dealers around here and a few jiffy lube type places. I said you mean that's not Motorcraft oil? He said sure it is, as soon as the dealer signs the bill it's whoever's oil bought it!!
Now granted, there are differences in quality with all things, but some of those differences are more in the marketing of it than its ability to do the job properly. Ive used the Tech 2000 wally stuff many times and had good service from it on older engines. I cant compare to the new ones because I haven't used it, but I can tell you this. Different companies use different blends of parafins and other chemicals to formulate their oils. Especially with the new oil injected 2 strokes you need to pick a brand/blend and stick with it because you can get some residue and jelling in the VRO pump from mixing one brands parafins etc with another if they happen to differ. Cheaper oils probably use more basic chemistry, thus lower cost. Probably smoke a bit more, probably foul the plugs a bit sooner, but I use Seafoam religiously so those fears are not my concern. I think at the end of the day the wear on a properly maintained engine will be comparable regardless of who's oil you buy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.