NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to reteach myself how to fly fish. i was only a beginner when I quit fishing over a decade ago. I have two problems:

1. Sometimes when I'm working the fly trying to get some distance I'll get a mess at the end of the rod (line wraps around the top) and I have to stop and unwind it. Could this be caused by me not keeping the line tight at the bottom the rod?

2. The top half of my fly rod is loose and after about a dozen casts if I don't adjust it, it'll go flying off. How can i correct this? I'm using an eagle claw rod that I believe is 7 feet tall (not sure).

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The best advice I've heard on casting was to act like you were trying to throw a potato off of a stick. For the second problem, nothing better than a little spit. You can try all kinds of things like rubbing the male ferrule down with pencil lead but it's a waste. Short of a little spit the only other reliable method is to use some U40 ferrule lube.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
CoachD-
It sounds like you're not locking your wrist, which is one of the most common problems fly casting. You could go to Tarheel Fish & Game on Raeford Road and pick up a copy of Lefty Kreh's video on Fly Casting. I believe Lefty provides the best approach to learning Fly Casting that I've seen, so far. Also, he explains how to make some training aides at home. I'll be in town this weekend, If want to PM me. I could meet you at Lake Rim and help you with your casting a little.

Good Luck
Tom

·
Registered
359 Posts
Coach D, I was practicing in my yard one day and my son,9 at the time out of the blue said"dad give your line time" meaning, give your line time to staighten out more on the backcast. It helped a lot.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
ogrefish said:
Coach D, I was practicing in my yard one day and my son,9 at the time out of the blue said"dad give your line time" meaning, give your line time to staighten out more on the backcast. It helped a lot.
That is the hardest thing for me sometimes. I guess the excitement gets to me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
the best advice to give a newbie is to learn when the rod is "loading" you will feel the weight of the fly line as it puts tension on the rod another thing is to SLOW down. someone who has just taken on a flyrod wants to put out all the line at once. take your time and get into counting a 1-2-3-4 beat . the problem with the line dropping in front is caused by the wrist not being kept straight. you do not need to buy the gimmicks in cabelas or orvis. use a couple of stiff rubber bands it's cheap and it works. as for the problem with your rod coming loose, when you connect it, start the two pieces at roughly 1/4 turn away from each other and line up the guides. WARNING it is a pain to seperate them later, you will want to use the guides to pull on but don't , thats a great way to work them loose. another way to work on your casting and not turn your 65.00 flyline into macrame is to take the tip section and tie a couple of feet of yarn to it. ( this is great if you have a cat.) you can work on your casting rythem (sp?) that way and not have to beat the lampshades in the house to death with the whole flyrod. JUST DON'T GET DISCOURAGED AND DON,T GIVE UP!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I knew someone on here would be able to help me out. By the way, how long should the leader be? And what should it be? (mono or something else?)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I missed it

Man, I missed where you offered to help me out backlash. Just reread the posts trying to check the hints given. Maybe I can catch up with ya next time. Didn't even get to put a line in the water this weekend due to coaches meeting and yardwork. Now that just plain ain't right. Later.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
No Problem Coach. I'm always looking to share my addiciton with someone. I'm going to be traveling the next couple of weeks. I will be around the week of the 26th , we could get together then and practice a little casting together.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds good to me

Sounds good. That's the week I get off from coaching.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.