NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Water temps should be coming up a lot this week. Spawn should be passing, so I am hoping to see a lot more crank bait, topwater, chatter bait and spinner/buzz bait action. The part of the state you are in plays a large role as temps rise from east to west usually. I am not confident with soft plastics, senko, drop shot etc, so it has been a tough learning curve for me so far as this is my first year really targeting Bass.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Trick worms in various colors, as well as various creature baits rigged on a shakey head. I like watermelon red brush hogs pitched way back in laydowns, as well as a watermelon trick worm on a shakey.

·
Registered
748 Posts
they were chewing this weekend. had a tourney at kerr that took almost 15# to get a check and over 24# to win. never have i seen such results on that body. 24,20,20,19,18..etc. it was pretty ridiculous. few guys got numbers, but most got quality.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Wacky Rig will gurentee a quick limit.
I haven't had any luck with a wacky rig. Any specific pointers? Weighted vs unweighted, colors and types of worms, cover preferences? I've thrown it a couple times, but have never had any takers so no confidence in this rig yet, but am willing to give it a few more chances.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've always had awesome luck with the little 3" yamasenko in red with red flake (or something close). Skip it around laydowns and over hanging trees. I would invest in some good weedless hooks or weedless wacky hooks if you'll be near trees. Wal-Mart usually sells some cheap eagle claw weedless baitholder hooks (aberdeens basically) with a wire gate. These work pretty good and don't break the bank, as well as being able to hold the larger sizes of senko (i usualy don't go above 5") After you made your cast, let it fall once, jiggle it a couple times, and reel in. 99% of the time if you don't get hit on the fall then there wasn't a fish, or it wants another cast. Don't waste time working it.

Reactions: JBassAssassin

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I've always had awesome luck with the little 3" yamasenko in red with red flake (or something close). Skip it around laydowns and over hanging trees. I would invest in some good weedless hooks or weedless wacky hooks if you'll be near trees. Wal-Mart usually sells some cheap eagle claw weedless baitholder hooks (aberdeens basically) with a wire gate. These work pretty good and don't break the bank, as well as being able to hold the larger sizes of senko (i usualy don't go above 5") After you made your cast, let it fall once, jiggle it a couple times, and reel in. 99% of the time if you don't get hit on the fall then there wasn't a fish, or it wants another cast. Don't waste time working it.
Got the weedless hooks but I've been using much larger worms, I'll get and try the 3" next time out. No weight anywhere?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Got the weedless hooks but I've been using much larger worms, I'll get and try the 3" next time out. No weight anywhere?

That's what I used to use when bank fishing as I tended to go for numbers, not size, and the smaller profile works better on the more heavily pressured bank spots I would typically fish. Haven't thrown a lot of senko's lately as they can be tricky from a kayak if there's any sort of current or wind as you typically want a straight fall, and when the boat, water, and line are all moving that is hard to pull off.

I would think you'd want some weight (maybe a nail style wacky weight if you fish deeper water. I've been really wanting to try the neko rig and the chicken rig which are cousins of the wacky senko and both use nail weights.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.