NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ill put anyone on fish in my area! These ponds are slam full of fish. One of them has a healthy population of stunted 6 to 10 inch crappie and the other has the panfish in it. These ponds continue to surprise me and ive yet to fish the middle of it since in still shore bound.

Anytime you feel like making a trek to asheboro just let me know we can go for it.

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe we can meet up in a couple of weeks, I will bring the Drifter for you to use. I have a couple of spare chairs that need to go to Asheboro as well.

Darrell
I believe I have a pfd that needs to find ots way home as well. Lemme know when you can make it Darrell, always a pleasure to fish with you!

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I fish with a 7 1/2 foot 4wt fly rod most of the time for bream. A bream the size you caught will give that rod a bit of a challenge, especially if I am not prepared when they hit. Not sure what a much larger bream would feel like. I have caught close to a 4 lb LMB on that rod, but I've caught bream that will give a fight almost as much as that medium size LMB. It is a good thing they don't get as large as LMBs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i may be wrong, these are just my speculations:
but what ive picked up on, bream is a category, such as saying bass there are largemouth and smallmouth and others.. bream there are bluegill, sunfish and shell-crackers and more.. common knowledge.
i believe the 2nd one is a shell-cracker. they are known to grow quite large. #1 just looks like a mutt to me with some bluegill in it.. i think they all can breed together. but if anyone knows better, please correct me
Brad

ps, didn't see all the other comments before i posted:rolleyes: looks like we all agree

·
Registered
84 Posts
There was a similar discussion on another site. The second fish doesn't have the red ear flap usually seen on a shellcracker, (hence the name redear). That and the larger mouth looks like a warmouth. I caught 3 in a pond last week, but nowhere near that size.

warmouth.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts