NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We seem to have some real geniuses in Raleigh running the N.C.W.R.C
The same geniuses that expect 2 officers to be able to protect a county with 4 majior lakes, 53 trout streams along with 62% of said county being National Forest Game Lands!! All due to the lack of funding to hire more officers. Then they turn around a lower Non-resident license 300% while neighboring states DOUBLE theirs.

Last year a 3-day non-res license cost $25 plus $10 for a trout stamp = $35 and you could harvest 21 trout from a hatchery supported stream. That totals out to about $1.66 per fish.(keep in mind the are our fish they don't belong to the goverment they belong to the people of North Carolina)

2007 the geniuses in Raliegh changed the non-res license to a 10 day and it cost $10 add in the $10 trout stamp and you have $20. now they can harvest 70 fish from a hatchery supported stream. That totals out to about 28 cent per fish !!!!!!!

In 2006 N.C averaged $1.66 per fish
In 2007 We get 28 cent per fish

I would say genuis is to strong of a word for our wildlife officials in Raleigh, maybe IDIOTS would be in order !!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

We really need to band together and let them know we will not stand for our resourses to be governed by a bunch of idiots. We want them protected for the treasure they really are. As far as our mountain trout go, we want them protected for the treasure they were 8 years ago!!! We are loosing this resourse fast due to poor regulations and very poor enforcement of laws that are 10 years behind other states that do value theirs !

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I agree. I have seen declining areas here in our native creeks. My biggest gripe here is we only have 3 hatchery supported areas in the whole county. Neighboring counties have 3 to 4 times that. There are numorous creeks in our area. Some of the prettiest creeks in the state but they are native and mostly privately owned. There has to be a way to work together on this and come to some kind of understanding. Another thing is, almost 1/3 of our county is National Forest. Again with some of the prettiest creeks you've ever seen. Why can these not be managed and used as a resource for the public? Time for folks to start contacting their politicians. It is a political issue. How else will change come? Think of this when you go to the polls. Even on a local level. I deal too closely with politics in my job, but I have made my concerns known. I plan to do more, especially for the county I live in. Sportsmen and fishermen unite!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm all for making all the Wild Trout streams "Catch and Release Only" and backing it up with a western style fine of one to two thousand dollars. Oregon and Montana it's a felony to poach Trout and they take your car or truck and auction it off. You also loose your hunting and fishing privileges. In N.C it's like a hundred and ten dollar fine and you can go back and poach the next day!

I believe Buba and Jimbob would find somthing else to do after a two thousand dollar fine! We could use the money to build nice ramps and campgrounds ect.

In N.C it's a five thousand dollar fine for poaching Turkeys, I'll bet anyone that Trout fishing brings ten times as much money in to our state as Turkey hunting.
My clients stay at very expensive lodges and create alot of jobs, guides, dishwashers, housekeeping, Waitresses, cooks, gift shops, gas stations, ect, ect !

I'm going to start speaking at Trout Unlimited chapters around the state this winter,
I've had requests from the heads of several chapters this spring but I'm too busy to do it now. Organization is what we sportsmen need to do, we can take control of what is ours from goverment officials who neglect our resourses, all we need to do is organize....Bubba can't do that!

I believe it's more than our duty, It's our calling!
Genesis 2:15 The Lord God took man and put him in the garden of eden to work it AND TAKE CARE OF IT!

Reactions: Topsail Angler

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Let me know if I can help Daniel. Any info on our area, local chapters, local or regional officials, etc. My efforts have been low key so far due to my job. I'm getting tired of it though. Our area is being slammed with people coming in from out of state who have no respect for what I have always held in high regard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.