NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Put 20' of 40lb test line on your reel and use 40lb or 45 lb wire on the part of your leader between the swivel and the hook. Tie the 40 lb shock line to the running line with an albright special and to the 3 way swivel on the other end. loosen up on your drag. 5lbs of drag should be where you leave it when fishing. set your drag with a hanging type scale or a 5 lb weight. Loosen your drag when storing your rod and make sure you reset it properly before heading back down. If you still get cut of chances are it is a shark bigger than what you want to tangle with on that rig. You can try going up in leader size then but I wouldn't really reccomend it. Most of the time I would be using 30 lb mono on that rig for a leader also but when you keep getting cut off you got to do what you got to do. BTW welcome to the site.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I have a question for you by the way. Have you ever floated the Lumber River between 74 and the park on Princess Anne Rd.? If so how was the fishing in that section. Anything to avoid? (besides Mosquitos & snakes)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Lefty, his set up with just one hook works better for live bait. He was using the right type and size weight also. No oysters etc where he was fishing but sharks have very abrasive skin and the tails of a lot of fish will wear a line into if they hit the line with their tail often enough. That happens with big fish sometimes but usually on a long run and more often in the surf where you don't have much height above the water. I've seen it happen plenty of times on pier hooked fish though. Another line getter is the barnacles on the pier pilings which a big fish often heads for when you bring them to the pier. Also of lesser importance: the shock line is much easier on your finger when casting. Not knowing the brand and model # of the reel or the line capacity or what time of year this took place; I have no idea of what your outfit is capable of or what species you were encountering. Besides shark it could have been spanish mackerel, bluefish, king or possibly barracuda.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.