NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been almost two years since I've been on here, but I'm back!!! Okay so the other day a couple of friends and myself went down to High Rock Lake. We caught all the usual channel cats and bluegill. The last fish that I landed was a little bit of a surprise though. I knew it was some type of bass, but not a small mouth or a large mouth, so I took a picture.

Fisherman Fish Fishing Recreational fishing Ray-finned fish

The very first thing I did was send the picture to my dad and he said baby stripper. I should a couple of other people the picture also. I ended up with two votes for crappie, two more for stripper, and one for white bass. I'm torn now on what this bass might be. The best that I can figure is hybrid or stripper.

So I'm putting this on here because I know you all can definitely help me. What do you think I caught?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's initially what I thought because of the stripes and the green hues on the dorsal side.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Both hybrid and white bass would be a first! Either way I'm happy and I just wanted to possibly figure out what it was. Thank you for your input :)

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the link!! I might be going back again on Friday, if I catch another I'll look at the tooth patch :)

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think it was a white perch, at least my initially instinct was bass. Hopefully I can get another and figure out what it is!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you look at the shape of the head it's definitely a bass. A white perch has a more pronounced "forehead" than bass.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven't been back to that spot to determine the actually identification of the fish. Hopefully I can get out there this week and catch another so I can look at the tooth patch.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.