NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving out there in a couple of weeks and looking to buy a truck and a boat. I am looking for a diesel but the 4x4 diesels are just too **** expensive. Are the ramps in the jacksonville and camp lejeune area suitable to launch a 21 foot grady white type boat with only a 2 wheel drive truck?

Thanks

Dan

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I have found most of the ramps in eastern NC are not steep like they are inland on the lakes. I never had problems with my 2wd Silverado and 21 ft Sea Pro. Low gear and easy on the gas. I did have a posi rear end.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I haven't explored all of them, not even close. I drag an 18ft flats boat to the water with a small 2wd V6, maybe my limited information will help. To reduce wheel spin and keep from rolling down the ramp, I usually put my truck in low and ease off of the parking brake while pulling up the ramp.

I usually use the ramp as MCAS, the only road you can use to get back there right now is busted up and winding. There is construction going on, when it's done, it will probably just be winding for a while. The ramp isn't steep, but you do have to turn around in a limited area to back in. There is usually a bed of sand at the water line which could cause issues.

Recently, I started using the Jacksonville Landing in order to avoid driving across MCAS. The ramp is noticeably steeper, but there are grooves cut in the concrete which seem to help drainage and traction. There is also plenty of room to maneuver my rig into any of the 3 ramps (I have used them all at least once). Parking is better there, and there are designated prep areas. My friend launches his 22ft Pathfinder from Jax Landing as well. Follow the channel markers though, that friend took a short cut one day and bumped a submerged stump.

You might avoid the ramp at Northeast Creek, it's a nice ramp, but the bridges that you would have to navigate under are a bit on the low side.

I have never put anything bigger than a Jon in at Gottschalk Marina, but I'm sure you could do it. The channel to get out to the river is a little narrow, and I would consider the ramp to be steep.

If you are heading out to the surf, which I don't do, Fulchers landing in Sneads Ferry might be your best bet.

Reactions: BigE818

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
There is a new wildlife ramp in downtown Jacksonville. The new ramp is a bit steeper than normal. When you back down the ramp you lose sight of the boat in the rear view. We pull a 22' boat out with a 2500 chev diesel without using four wheel drive. So like others have said slow and easy will probably keep you from spinning but it is a little steep. Most other ramps along our coast are not so steep.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The only issue I would mention is that sometimes on a low tide I am dropping my trailer wheels off the concrete and having to launch beyond the length of the ramp. All of the ramps where I have to do this are on base so if you are going to launch on base that could be a problem for you.

Also the ramp at Mile Hammock bay gets really slick on a low tide.

It is nice to have 4WD when launching at those ramps but it may not be needed.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have launched my 21' Jones Bros. center console at all the state ramps in Jacksonville, Swansboro, Emerald Isle, Morehead City, and Beaufort in all sorts of weather, wind, and tidal conditions and have had no trouble at all with my Yukon in 2-wheel drive. Repeat, no trouble at all.

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. I actually pulled the trigger on a 2500 ram 4x4 with a cummins. It was out of my price range and now my boat choice will suffer but I think i will be happy.

It looks like i will have a lot of ramps to learn. In southern cal I was lucky to have 4 ramps within 50 miles of shoreline.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys. I actually pulled the trigger on a 2500 ram 4x4 with a cummins. It was out of my price range and now my boat choice will suffer but I think i will be happy.

It looks like i will have a lot of ramps to learn. In southern cal I was lucky to have 4 ramps within 50 miles of shoreline.
There's a really nice Bay Boat listed in the classifieds on this site that would look great behind that Ram ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Courthouse bay works too. I really like the new ramps in JAX.
I haven't explored all of them, not even close. I drag an 18ft flats boat to the water with a small 2wd V6, maybe my limited information will help. To reduce wheel spin and keep from rolling down the ramp, I usually put my truck in low and ease off of the parking brake while pulling up the ramp.

I usually use the ramp as MCAS, the only road you can use to get back there right now is busted up and winding. There is construction going on, when it's done, it will probably just be winding for a while. The ramp isn't steep, but you do have to turn around in a limited area to back in. There is usually a bed of sand at the water line which could cause issues.

Recently, I started using the Jacksonville Landing in order to avoid driving across MCAS. The ramp is noticeably steeper, but there are grooves cut in the concrete which seem to help drainage and traction. There is also plenty of room to maneuver my rig into any of the 3 ramps (I have used them all at least once). Parking is better there, and there are designated prep areas. My friend launches his 22ft Pathfinder from Jax Landing as well. Follow the channel markers though, that friend took a short cut one day and bumped a submerged stump.

You might avoid the ramp at Northeast Creek, it's a nice ramp, but the bridges that you would have to navigate under are a bit on the low side.

I have never put anything bigger than a Jon in at Gottschalk Marina, but I'm sure you could do it. The channel to get out to the river is a little narrow, and I would consider the ramp to be steep.

If you are heading out to the surf, which I don't do, Fulchers landing in Sneads Ferry might be your best bet.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Courthouse bay works too. I really like the new ramps in JAX.
I haven't scouted out CHB in over a year, and I have never used the ramp so I didn't feel qualified to give a review on it. I also omitted North Topsail and Surf City because while I stopped to check them out about 6 weeks ago, I haven't even watched a boat be launched there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.