NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted to try my hands in the sound on my kayak.

Which, from where I live, means a hotel/motel stay.

What do you do with your kayak when not fishing? I don't want it to walk off on me.

Currently thinking a bike lock through the scupper holes and to the roof rack... But I'm far from sure that such a lock would secure it sufficiently.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My old kayak I would just prop up against the side of the building. My new and much more expensive kayak will be cable locked to the roof rack, a tree or the railing.

In a hotel, you're pretty much limited to leaving it locked on the roof rack.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a cable lock that I got from Hook, Line, and Paddle down in Wilmington. It comes with 2 cables and you can adjust the length as needed with the lock. Since I am living out of a suitcase right now I have to keep both my boats on top of my truck pretty much all the time. I have them both locked with the same lock. Especially since I am only using one boat at a time I just keep the other one locked on the truck.

As my buddy always says "Locks just keep honest people honest. If a thief wants your stuff he will take it." At least the cable lock will slow them down a bit and they just can't grab it and go.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Hotel choice is the first line of defense. Go for the cut rate cheap rooms you'll probably be in the less desirable part of town too.
I would feel really comfortable on Harkers Island. Might not have the real nice lodgings some places have but it's more community feeling than other places to me.
You can also find houses on Harkers that rent pretty dog gone cheap.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Get a room adjacent to the parking lot on the ground floor. When you're ready to turn in for the night, open the door, turn the yak on its side and slide it in the room until morning.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Double beds one for you , one for the yak :)

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
When we travel for bass tournaments, we always look for motels with outside doors and request a room on the ground floor. Most are far from 5 star accomodations but they dont have the 5 star price either and workout fine for a fishing trip. We park our boats right outside the door and carry our valuables into the room at night. You can park right outside the door and possibly carry your kayak in the room at night. Get yourself an orange cone, if you have to leave to get dinner or run to the store put it in the space in front of your room so you will still have your spot when you come back.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Good tips. The bike cables with combination lock thru the scupper holes (or handle or whatever) has worked for me on canoes and yaks. Even the simple addition of a U bolt for a cable attachment has secured the boat...even when it spent 4 years on top of my van in Washington, DC, and other areas. I've locked them to factory mounted racks; removable racks; door handles and bumpers; around trees and posts etc.... You'll also find some locking "systems" specifically for boats like the one mentioned.

·
Registered
154 Posts
this is probally not necessary, but make sure your cable/chain is wrapped in plastic or pass it through a piece of hose. It will keep the cable from beating your roof to death.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Just finished a 10 day trip to North Dakota. Had both kayak and bicycle secured with Bell Sports Locks, Spent four nights in motels in Illinois, Indiana, and Minnesota . Made sure I was backed up to an occupied room. No problems. Didn't bother to secure it in North Dakota. (Have cousins who've not taken key out of ignition in 12 years...)

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Just finished a 10 day trip to North Dakota. Had both kayak and bicycle secured with Bell Sports Locks, Spent four nights in motels in Illinois, Indiana, and Minnesota . Made sure I was backed up to an occupied room. No problems. Didn't bother to secure it in North Dakota. (Have cousins who've not taken key out of ignition in 12 years...)
That's because the waters usually frozen there....😀

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts