NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
I put a boat seat umbrella mount on the backs of my pedastal seats in my jonboat. My wife's idea; I chuckled the first time she used one, thought it looked a smidge silly, but it didn't take too much hot sun beating down on me that I got jealous and bought one for my seat, too. Had to learn to cast sidearm but the shade from the umbrella in the mid day really helps. Gets a bit tough if there is a good breeze, but then again if there is a breeze it's not usually as uncomfortable.

Other tactic is that I will sometimes take off my shirt and soak it in the water, wring it out so it's just damp, and put it back on. The cooling effect is surprisingly helpful and can make a big difference in comfort.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Similar to Sam's idea. I wear all the sun protective gear I can, and like to put some cold water on my shirts and buffs to cool down. One trick that helps me a lot. I take some ice cubes out of cooler and put in my hat. The cooling effect lasts longer, and if any happens to run down to my clothing, so much the better.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
My boat has a hose on the livewell pumpout for filling a weigh-in bag, if there are no fish in there I will fill it up and use that hose to cool me off. I have also been known to take a break under a big shade tree or pull into and empty covered boat slip and have a snack or cold drink.

If I know it is going to be hot, I make sure to start hydrating my body a few days ahead of time and always carry plenty to drink.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Keep a wet hand towel in your cooler. Very refreshing to wipe your face and arms down and wrap it around your neck for a bit when it gets real bad.

Reactions: mikeski and dbeam

·
Registered
184 Posts
I fish 5-6 days a wk most all yr. I've found that those old farmers had the rite idea bout bein out in the sun all day. I wear long sleeve shirts an long pants all yr. I use Cabela's Guidewear an can fish comfortably in 95* heat. If the sun don't hit ya skin ya feel cooler. an just a little breeze will cool you while wearin these type clothes. I also have an advantage over the 'yaks too, my boat goes over 30mph an that makes ya feel like ya in the air conditioning! I fish a spot for 15-30 mins, then run down the lake for 3-4 mins an yur dry agin, stop an fish up another sweat, then turn on the "air conditioner" agin.

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
I will wear a quality name brand light fishing shirt such as a Columbia or Under Armor along with the light Columbia pants with the zip away legs. These keep you cool and dry quickly as well. I also wear a somewhat goofy but protective hat with the shade on the back. Drink lots of water to stay hydrated and get off the water (even temporarily) if you are feeling the effects of the heat. Those cooling kerchief things you wrap around your neck work well too. And parking the vessel and doing a bit of wade fishing helps as well!
Cloud Sky Water Plant Casting (fishing)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.