NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Lowrance elite-4x HDI FF for my yak and a humminbird gel cel battery to power it.

Thru-Hull mount of transducer is not desirable with a HDI/DSI sonar. Scupper hole mount is not for me, as my gear and fat butt will push my NuCanoe to near the 400lb threshhold where scupper plugs are required.

That leaves me with an over the side transducer arm mount.

I'm considering the Yakattack cellblok to connect to a side rail. Buying a ram ball mount and a transducer arm. It's expensive... $60 for the cellblok, $42 for the arm, and $8 for the ball mount.

But it's portable.... Quick take off for transport. It fits my needs in being relatively simple. And even a poor handyman like me can make this work.

Opinions?

Also... White size connectors do you use for quick connects to the humminbird gel cell? F1 or F2? I have bare wire on my FF, need to attach one set of quick connects, and want to buy the right one.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It is a really nice and clean setup. It is kind of pricey IMO but is a great piece. Two of my friends are using them and I checked it out on their yaks before purchasing one. The battery is stored inside of the box and everything mounts to it.

I personally like a lower profile setup so I went with Yak Attacks 581HD DI fish finder mount for a ram mount and purchased the Yak Attack transducer arm and its mounted on a gear track on the side of the yak with with a ram mount ball. My battery is mounted in a box in the center hatch. It all comes off in a matter of seconds and can be reinstalled very quickly.

The only reason I didnt get the cellblock was because it was a little bulky for me. I like an open work area on my deck and the block was bigger than i really liked. Here is the only pic of my setup.

10320560_10154103600780302_6375461020890813324_n.jpg

·
Registered
230 Posts
I checked them out as I couldn't decide between a side arm or a scupper mount. Went scupper hole and actually got it done by Great Outdoors in Raleigh for about a 1/3 of that total set-up you described. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I checked them out as I couldn't decide between a side arm or a scupper mount. Went scupper hole and actually got it done by Great Outdoors in Raleigh for about a 1/3 of that total set-up you described. Couldn't be happier.
If you do any winter time fishing and plug your scupper hole, is there still room for the transducer to still function? Do you do any river fishing where shallow rocks could be a problem? I would have ripped mine off a hundred times if i had it mounted in the scupper hole. How hard to disconnect it for getting out to drag across rocks. etc..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use the transducer arm on my Coosa. I have the battery mounted in a box inside the front hatch. Plan to get a CellBlok to use on our Manta Ray. After seeing the one on display at Get Outdoors, I don't think it's too bulky. That was my only concern... if it would be in the way? After seeing it on the Slayer at the store, I'm not worried about that anymore. Plus, I wouldn't have to drill into the Manta Ray.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
We have 3 cell blocks . I really like them.. The transducer arm I would opt. For 1½ X⅛ flat stock aluminum from Lowes cut to fit as a transducer arm . drill hole top and bottom added gear track onside of kayak used a track but with a stainless ¼20 wingnut to mount it far less drag if the cell block is mounted on the side of the kayak that arm could be mounted on yak

·
Registered
591 Posts
Len,

For quick connectors I've always liked these. http://www.rcheliresource.com/how-to-soldering-an-ec3-connector/ They come in various sizes and you can't accidentally reverse the polarization since the housing is "keyed". You can always just buy a connector at your local auto store and you won't need to solder anything but they may corrode rather quickly in the salt. Easy to replace though.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cellblok ordered.... I had a big jar of change on my dresser, took it to a coinstar machine, and found out that that I had $83 in change... Turned that into an amazon gift card, and it didn't feel too bad paying the extra $40 out of my pocket for this.

Will post pics when installed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you do any winter time fishing and plug your scupper hole, is there still room for the transducer to still function? Do you do any river fishing where shallow rocks could be a problem? I would have ripped mine off a hundred times if i had it mounted in the scupper hole. How hard to disconnect it for getting out to drag across rocks. etc..

I can post some pics if you'd like, but basically the bottom of my Wilderness Systems Ride 135 has a double pontoon. The transducer only sticks out as far as the actual oval part and still has clearance before you'd get to the actual bottom of the boat. I don't fish rivers often but I do go very shallow on likes a times and have never had an issue, again the bottom of the boat would touch before anything.

On the top side it has a cover over the scupper where the wire comes up and some sealant was applied to make sure it stays water tight.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yea my Cuda 14 is pretty flat across the bottom so if anything hangs below the scupper hole in the water it will get hit by a rock. Would definitely be cool if it would work on the Cuda like that but my ram arm works pretty well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Len - are you still liking your cell block? I just received a FF as a gift and am researching my mounting options. Also curious what battery will fit in cell block.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I run the exact setup you described on my Big Rig with a Dragonfly instead of the lowrance. It makes it very easy to take on and off and if I'm getting shallow I just loosen the transducer arm and pull it up. The only thing I'd like to change is I'd get the Scotty transducer mount, the aluminum rod is a pain in the butt to adjust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts