NC Angler Forums banner

What is your position on the future of our fisheries?

• I am optimistic that we will always have an ample supply of fish

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I am pessimistic about our fisheries future

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • I am VERY pessimistic about our fisheries future

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • I consider myself an Environmentalist

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • I consider myself a Conservationist

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I consider myself neither

Votes: 2 2.4%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NCangler.com member Dudd sent me a link to a report that I heard about on the news over the weekend, regarding the depletion of most of the world's fishing stocks by 2050. You can read the article here: Seafood could collapse by 2050, experts warn

No matter what your political or personal beliefs about environmentalists and global warming, as God appointed stewards of the earth's resources we have to take this threat seriously and act responsibly to ensure a future for fish stocks. What are your thoughts on the subject?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I love seafood as much as anyone, probably more than most. I watch the trawlers run back and forth just offshore from the piers and I wonder how anything can survive to grow. I think there should be farther boundaries for commercial fishing. I also notice here on the Pamlico you can barely get near the shore for the crabpots. I know I'm stepping on alot of toes and alot of family traditions but there will be nothing left for anyone if we don't get hold of the situation. If it means seafood price increases so be it. If I can't catch it myself , I just won't eat it as often.
The problem with regulations though is that what we decide for the USA just gives other countries the ability to overfish their areas and sell it to us. So overall the damage is still done... tough call.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Voted pessimistic, but that may not be right. I hope that more will take action when looking at fisheries, water quality, and the environment. It must be a group effort. Anglers and Sportsman are some of the best advocates out there. They are often the biggest contributors. Let's pass it on down.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
We need only catch what we can eat. If you over fish stuff like this happens. Really is sad when you think about it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You needed one more poll choice, "very pessimistic".

I have watched while it has been decimated for the past couple of decades. Now for the part that's going to really make some folks angry at me. The recreational fisherman is just as, if not more so responsible for this than the commercial sector. The numbers of recreationals have exploded over the past decade or so and shamefully a large part of them only know one thing. "Take as many as they can, any way that they can" WASTEFULL is an understatement.

I am a firm believer that all trawls should be removed from inshore waters and that all nets of any kind (other than a cast net) should be removed from recreational use.

And for goodness sake, implement an effective creel limit on ALL desirable species. Start by dropping the flounder limit to 4 per person and ENFORCE it.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I agree Coach D - nothing wrong with eating your catch, but if you keep it, you should eat it (or give it to somebody who will). I see a lot of waste out there.

It's really sad to see a net that has been abandoned or not checked frequently and has dead fish in it just spoiling. Another example is one time this year I pulled up to a dock and there were 17 dead flounder laying on the bottom, all undersized and all gigged. :mad::mad: Sad.:(

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I know there are great concerns on the coast. My concern is native trout populations. Fishing for natives is definitly not what it was when I was young and a whole lot different from the time of my father and grandfather. Imagine creeks so wealthy with fish that stocking was not even necesary. Logging practices, over harvesting, and runoff are all factors among other things. Overall (mtns and coast), maybe the attitude of some that fish are an endless renewable resource. End or rant.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
You needed one more poll choice, "very pessimistic".

I have watched while it has been decimated for the past couple of decades. Now for the part that's going to really make some folks angry at me. The recreational fisherman is just as, if not more so responsible for this than the commercial sector. The numbers of recreationals have exploded over the past decade or so and shamefully a large part of them only know one thing. "Take as many as they can, any way that they can" WASTEFULL is an understatement.

I am a firm believer that all trawls should be removed from inshore waters and that all nets of any kind (other than a cast net) should be removed from recreational use.

And for goodness sake, implement an effective creel limit on ALL desirable species. Start by dropping the flounder limit to 4 per person and ENFORCE it.
There are plenty of flounder. I think they should raise the size limit to 18 inches.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had no idea that they used nets to catch trout here, Ricky had told me that.. Makes tough competition for those trout lovers. I'm a catch and release man myself..at least till the fridge runs dry. Ricky prob. thought I was crazy when I told him to let the only two trout we caught go. He said "If only they knew how lucky they are."
Texas coast use to be highly depleted of Reds and Trout, they then set very strict size and catch limits, and enforced them. 10 years later the pop. is booming.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I had no idea that they used nets to catch trout here, Ricky had told me that.. Makes tough competition for those trout lovers. I'm a catch and release man myself..at least till the fridge runs dry. Ricky prob. thought I was crazy when I told him to let the only two trout we caught go. He said "If only they knew how lucky they are."
Texas coast use to be highly depleted of Reds and Trout, they then set very strict size and catch limits, and enforced them. 10 years later the pop. is booming.
The bad thing is on cold winter nights, we have guys slip into some of the creeks with nets up river. It is illegal to set nets in these creeks. It is not uncommon to hear of 200-300lb catches.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I agree Coach D - nothing wrong with eating your catch, but if you keep it, you should eat it (or give it to somebody who will). I see a lot of waste out there.

It's really sad to see a net that has been abandoned or not checked frequently and has dead fish in it just spoiling. Another example is one time this year I pulled up to a dock and there were 17 dead flounder laying on the bottom, all undersized and all gigged. :mad::mad: Sad.:(
I have seen this myself. I do a lot of gigging as some of you know. During the summer on a weekend, it is not unusual for me to see 8 or 10 dead, gigged, undersized flounder. Not to mention the little puppy drum. But the flounder will not even be close to size. They will be 8-10 inches long a lot of times. Somebody just doing it for amusement. Here is another thing, keeping your fish to eat is fine. I commercial fish myself, but I do not believe in all commercial practices. I can go and gig 30 or 40 flounder in a couple of hours. This does not hurt the population. The fish we catch recreational fishing does not hurt the population either. Do you guys know what the Federal government and states gives the big flounder trawls in the winter for a quota?
NC gives them 10,000 lbs per every three days per each fishing vessel!:eek: Do you guys realize this? Take the fish home you catch, eat them, Don't feel guilty. I know this info for a fact. My Father owns a flounder trawler. The flounder move offshore to the continental shelf to spawn. These boats have flounder permits for each state. They hit nc get their quota. They gone to VA get that quota. They go to NJ get the quota. So, what does everyone think is hurting the flounder population? It is not local giggers, not recreational fisherman, not even flounder netters. The damage is done in the winter when the fish move out to spawn. They are caught by the thousands of pounds, daily. This is just our commercial fleet. We also have 200 foot trawlers from Asia and who knows where else out there cleaning them out. You can not control a fish population by setting local rules by the state of NC. These species of fish we target are migratory. The flounder, trout, grey trout, black drum, red drum, etc.
How are you going to control a population on a local state level? Don't let the politicians fool you. They don't care about our resources. The only resource they care about is green$. King Mackerel is just as bad as the flounder trawlers. The kings don't go south, as a lot of people think. Run 65 miles out in January. If you find the fish, they are schooled up like popeye mullets. I have done this also. One day trip on a 25 foot seahawk+ a few drone spoons + a couple of bandit reels = 1300lbs of King Mackerel. How many can you keep recreational? What is hurting the population? The thousands of pounds a day being harvested.
Back to the flounder, They can be farm raised just like shrimp. The commercial guys complain of a change of lifestyle if nets are outlawed etc. If our communist government really cared about our natural resources, why don't they offer some incentives to get people starting these farms. You want to know why? Offering incentives to big corporations brings a lot more of the only thing they care about. Money. Starting a flounder farm or giving Haliburton a few more billion to make some forks for the mess halls. Which do you think they will choose?
I guess i am done. Oh yeah, GO PACK!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I voted very pessimistic. My first saltwater fishing started in the 60's as a kid,and
have seen many changes in the population of different fish.Some types seem
to be making a come back and we're hoping all will.My opinion is that i don't think
we have enought fish on the east coast to supply the whole world.
I hope that we will find a way to insure that our fisheries will not be destroyed
as other countries fisheries have. Charlie

·
Registered
709 Posts
Bread Man has made alot of good points. I also don't believe the recreational fisherman hurts the fish population but in my earlier years I enjoyed net fishing for both shrimp and spot. It helped me make a few extra dollars on the side plus it was something my father enjoyed doing with me. I've always wondered how it would affect the population positively if trawling were shut down in the intracoastal and all the juvinile fish were allowed to grow to maturity There was alot of waste in my little 25' net. I'm glad I don't do that anymore! I hope people are becoming more ethical these days such as ourselves but I also know the greed of the $$$$$$$ rules alot of people and they will do unethical things to get it. Sorry to say.
Gery

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I voted very pessimistic. My first saltwater fishing started in the 60's as a kid,and
have seen many changes in the population of different fish.Some types seem
to be making a come back and we're hoping all will.My opinion is that i don't think
we have enought fish on the east coast to supply the whole world.
I hope that we will find a way to insure that our fisheries will not be destroyed
as other countries fisheries have. Charlie
The days of filling up a #2 washtub in a little while with all you need to eat are gone in my opinion. When I was a kid back in the 60's and early 70's we could catch all we wanted and I haven't seen that since back in the late 70's early 80's. I do see some species making a comeback which is encouraging. Part of the problem we face now is with the unreasonable harvesting of bait fish such as menhaden that deplete the food sources of the species that we enjoy catching. Here is a link to a good article in the North Carolina Sportsman. There is also an article about why Striper fishing dropped off this year for the same reason.
North Carolina Sportsman's - The pogie battle is enjoined again

Contact your congressmen and senators.

Mark

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I topped this because I believe that it needs attention. There might be a vote sometime soon that could affect the over harvesting of pogies. I can't remember the names of the state legislators that are battling over this but I do know that one of them that is fighting for letting Omega deplete the menhaden population is from the Morehead area. If I am not mistaken the legislator that has taken up the fight for us is from Brunswick County. It is in the article at NC Sportsman.
Imagine that! A Morehead resident in the legislature endorsing the raping of our fish population. Please read the article.

Mark

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Livebait- I believe that you may be thinking to Sen. Marc Basnight who always sides with the commercial fishing interest.

On the other side, is Bonner Stiller from Brunswick County who is a sportsman and has pushed for legislation that would ban inshore trawling in Brunswick County.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
more Things Need To Be Done By Our Goverment. Get Of Your Sorry But And Talk To The Folks That Do This Every Day, Get On The Boat And See The Damage Done By The Trawlers In The Intercoastal Waters, See The Damage Done By Nets, Looks At The Net Down In The River At Belhaven Nc, At Times Of The Year You Can Bearly Fish There Because Of Nets In The River. Then Pull Up The Nets An Look At Dead Under Size Fish That Can Only Be Turned Loose To Float Down The River No Good To Any One, Come On Folks Get It Together And Stop All Yes I Said All Nets In The Rivers Systems And Any Intercoastal Waters. Stop The Trawlers In The Intercoastal Waters , Folks There Is Pleaty Of Water For Them To Fish, But Stay Away From Where All Of Our Fish, Shrimp, Crabs Are Raised, Set Limits And Enforce Them. I Love Seafood And During The Fall Fishing Season I Keep Only What I Want To Clean And Eat, We As Fisherman And Women Will Never Hurt The Fish Population. Its Very Simple Limit The Nets And Trawlers And I Belive Our Fish Stocks Will Recover Beyoud Our Dreams........my .02 Worth........................chris

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Chris- I have to agree with you the net issue and I applaud you for only keeping what you intend to eat. I know alot of people who would have to bring home a limit every time they went out or it was a bad day. At one point , I too felt that this was the benchmark of success but now I will only take home what I'm going to eat right away at it's freshest. I will however freeze some Black Bass filets since I don't get a chance to fish for them often and they are my favorite table fare. However, it does strike me as strange when I visit some of the other sites and pier boards and the same people seem to be posing with a cooler full of fish every week. I believe that strict regulations and the practice of catch and release saved the Black Bass Fishing in our freshwater fisheries. I feel that we as Sportsman who our concerned about our stocks should set the example by promoting the release of fish as much as possible. I don't begrudge anyone who takes fish for their consumption and it should be the anglers choice within the limits that Marine Fisheries mandates but I feel that full coolers and big catches are over glorified.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think it is unfortunate that the term "environmentalist" is sometimes viewed in a negative light. As with all things, there are some environmentalists who are narrow-minded. But to me, an environmentalist is simply someone who cares about the environment and wants to protect it. I consider myself both a conservationist and an environmentalist. I try to remain open to and respect all points of view. Regardless of whether I agree with someone, I can usually learn something if I'm willing to listen.

I think in the short term (100 years) our fisheries are going to suffer tremendously. But in the long-term (1000 years), I believe they will recover.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.