NC Angler Forums banner

What factors are most important to you in selecting a guide or Captain to fish with?

• Their website

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Pictures of their catch

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Information/photos of their boat

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Referral by another angler

Votes: 49 48.0%
  • Their experience (years on the water)

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Their reputation

Votes: 68 66.7%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a moment to participate in our poll. And feel free to elaborate in a quick reply. You can even promote a guide or charter Captain that you had a great experience with. That shared information will help others. ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've fished a couple of charters out of Fla.
The first one was with Captain John Lee on LEEWAY.
He was about to retire then, but still takin on some charters.
The question is a tough one, because of his experience.
We caught quality fish all day,several kings and one HUGE cobia!
Had A GREAT TIME ON LEEWAY.Captain LEE is in Pennsicola Fla.
Another charter out of Pennsicola was LADY KATEY.
We chartered a half day with these guys and caught plenty.
One more I know would be a good charter is LICKEM STICKEM
out of pennsicola.
Back to the poll
Captain John Lee and Leeway had both experience and reputation to back it up!
Lookin forward to takin my wife back down there and maybe HOOKIN up with him again.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've been out on the Bill Collector with Steve a few times. First class outfit. He doesn't give you the runaround. He tells it like it is. If he's not getting bites, he's constantly changing baits, color of lures, etc.

We were down for a trip last Memorial Day Friday. Woke up the next morning, wind blowing about 25 on the beach. He said we could go if we wanted to, but he didn't think he could get us to the fish. He left it up to us, and also, offered to reschedule, or refund us our money back. We rescheduled, and then got blown out again in Sept. My buddies went out with him about the middle of April(I was recooperating from surgery), and caught about 400 lbs. of Yellowfin in an 1 1/2 hrs!!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
my uncle was a great lakes charter captain. he retired..i have been around him alot growing up. and i was exposed to many other charter captains most of which go out of there way to acommodate there clients..the thing they always talked about was even if it was a crappy day but the client went away happy. they would tell there friends. word of mouth is very important to guys making a living at it.. captains down here should be no differant.. if there boat looks like it is owned by fred sanford i will walk no questions asked. guys who make there living in there boat take VERY good care of it.

zooker

·
Registered
871 Posts
Definitely referral by another angler and reputation in the surrounding fishing community.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
reputation Is Very Big One For Me, Referral Are Also Good To Have , As In Business If You Do A Good Job People Will Talk About The Good Things You Do For Them..........................chris

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Easy to see why the two highest vote-getters are references and reputation...

I think the referral and reputation choices go together. A good reputation is earned when more people make references and the more people make references, the better the reputation becomes.

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
i believe reputation is the biggest thing,i dont have much time on the water with guides but the one i did go with was great he went above and beyond and made us feel like family on the boat,he let me help catch bait and let us rig our lines,he gave us instructions but not demands.
at the same time refferal is a good thing too thats how i got hooked up with the charter i took with nativeguide bryan goodwinn,i saw his reports and talked to people who went with him and let me say for 4 hours i felt like the 4 of us felt like best friends and he put us right on the fish 9 bull drum in 4 hours first 2 hooked up as a double in the first 15 minutes couldnt ask for better.
so in my opinion first and foremost is rep than refferal ;)
id like to add that being able to deal with begginers and expert fisherman is a must in that line of work and he does it all ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
In regards too the poll, I feel that Angler Refferal and Reputation are basically the same thing! So, those are the best ones!

Reputation is built upon other Anglers Refferals. By other people fishing with them thats where it all comes from!!!

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Been a few years since I have gone charter boat fishing at the coast. I went out with Capt Tom Talton on Tom N Jerry out of Morehead on 4 different occasions, all wonderful trips, not sure if he is still running trips. The way my family chose him was walking the docks looking at what the boats had brought in on many occasions. Where he was docked there was maybe 10 other boats. Out of those ten he would consistantly have better quality fish. All the other boats would have a boat load of small dolphin and maybe a small wahoo or tuna. Capt Tom wouldnt have as many fish but they were always better quality. For head boat fishing, good trips have kept us going back to Capt Stacy every time.

I have done some guiding for bass on Jordan lake. Seems the guys who have been around a long time have an advantage over the guides just starting out. They have the reputation as well as repeat customers. I am sure the tough economy hasnt helped anyone.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i think "Actions speak louder than words", if they put you on fish, is more important than anything!! and i haven't read that yet. I know that they r not miracle workers, also. But if i'm payin' what their chargin', I expect to catch fish & learn something or somewhere i didn't know already.

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
Wow, a five year old thread.

Tim you have fished with two guides in NC don't forget BW.
oh yeah your right rich thanks for the reminder bobby white of marker39 charters man what a day with him and rich we didnt catch many but we sure learned alot at least i did he would also be a recomendation for willmington area for sure :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.