NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Struggling to find Trout in 72 + water temps.
Fishing all different tides, both new areas, old faithful locations, clean & cloudy water.
Tried topwater, X-Raps, MR17, MR18, Z-man in many sizes, shapes & colors on various jigheads from light to heavy.
Caught Lizards, Blues, Pinfish, Puffer fish, one runt rat Red & Flounders. It really hurts to throw back 22" Flounders when fishing is so awful.
My question is " Is there anyone out there, catching Trout ? "..... ICM
Water Vertebrate Sky Food Outdoor recreation

Griffin did manage to catch one, single, solitary, solo, lost & confused 20" Trout.
Then spent the rest of the trip educating us with his Trout knowledge, proficiency & insight.
While us proud boomers were thinking " What would happen to this Gen Z, it we hid his phone? ...."
Water Vertebrate Smile Boat Fisherman

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
205 Posts
ICM....all the specks were in Swanquarter on Sunday....big rally, very big...largest school ever...all 12-13.5"!!

Seriously, we probably boated 100 all between 12-13.5"! Interestingly, right at 1530 hrs the larger keepers started to hit and we boated three within 10 min. The downside was I really didn't want to have to hit the ramp at dark so we ran after picking up the three quicks one. So there you have it...we had all the trout yearlings you could ask for!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
ICM…I have been out the last two days. Mid-Pamlico River surface temp 69-71 degrees. Water is nice and clear (no doubt that will change in the next couple-three days). Lots and lots of 10-12 inch trout, with the exception of the one lonely guy below…a hair over 18 inches and very thick.

Its got to get cooler…we are in November and it has been 78-80 degrees…even mid-60s at night. I don't think the bigger trout have moved up the river yet Except for a few ‘scouts’. I got bored enuf yesterday I went back to trolling for blues…and caught some.
Sleeve Tie Material property Font Fashion design

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I drove by the Little Bridge OBX and it was elbow to elbow trout catching. I wasn't ready to join although I doubt there were room to squeeze even if I had wanted to.

I'm still trying to hook my first trout. Was hoping to try this Friday but looks like the coming storm will nix that.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
205 Posts
Hey Badankles....that's my old stomping ground! That bridge has produced many a keeper trout. One of the last times I fished it my shortest was 19" and I had two 22" in my limit....but ummmmmm....I helped two other guys fill their limits too. Midway the bridge, straight out about 20-30 yds using a Zoom Smoking Shad. The best fishing there is usually from 0400-0700 hrs on a falling tide. If you're not there by then, it's elbow to elbow when there's a good bite!

Where are you at? You do mean your first trout of the season, right?? If not, we gotta do something about that!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hey Badankles....that's my old stomping ground! That bridge has produced many a keeper trout. One of the last times I fished it my shortest was 19" and I had two 22" in my limit....but ummmmmm....I helped two other guys fill their limits too. Midway the bridge, straight out about 20-30 yds using a Zoom Smoking Shad. The best fishing there is usually from 0400-0700 hrs on a falling tide. If you're not there by then, it's elbow to elbow when there's a good bite!

Where are you at? You do mean your first trout of the season, right?? If not, we gotta do something about that!
Don't laugh, but I really meant first trout ever. Just staring to learn and get into the salt more. I find it a bit more challenging than the freshwater stockers... Haha

·
Registered
81 Posts
The little bridge near Whale Bone consistently produces so much fish, it's included on TWs fishing report.
It is a great spot and super convenient with parking and rest room. You can get strippers, drum red and black, and lots of trout.
A few years ago you could fish both sides. Now, just one. Not sure but maybe someone got hit crossing the road.
The water flow is largely influenced by wind. The nearest water source is Oregon Inlet a considerable way south.

I fished Bay River last weekend. Almost everyone I ran into caught their limit in trout. I caught a few but I was targeting reds and did well.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
205 Posts
@TomnNC you know too much about the little bridge (officially the Melvin R Daniels bridge)...are you a local?

If not and you've never fished it, Stripers were always on the north side of the bridge which is now closed down due to a loss of life incident some 3-5 years ago. Drum usually congregate on the east end of the bridge...there's a shoal that projects out perpendicular to that end of the bridge with a deep hole on the east side of the shoal. Position yourself about 20 yards from the end of the bridge and cast at a 45-60 degree angle across the shoal. If the drum are there, you should find them hiding in that hole...if you don't get hit there bounce your lure across that shoal as the flounder tend to lay on the west side of it waiting to ambush bait coming across it. As for trout, usually the best chance was using soft plastic (Gulp, Zoom, Zeeman, etc) standing almost dead center of the bridge casting straight out 20-30 yards and then jigging in.

The best bite is early morning between 0400-0700 hrs. If you are there at 0400 look for Butch (our resident bridge troll) who is always fishing that bridge around that time. If there are fish biting and you ask nicely, Butch may put you on them. If for some reason Butch has moved on (he'll be under the high rise if he's not at the little bridge) look for Johnny (sporting a beat up orange baseball cap) who is usually there by not later than 0530 hrs (Johnny likes to sleep in). Those two guys are locals and if there's fish at the bridge, they'll know it. If you do meet either of the two, tell them Bruce gives his regards...yeah, I used to be the other bridge troll at that bridge. Butch and I would always be neck-and-neck to see who was on the bridge first and who caught the first fish.

Good times and yeah...as I noted in a previous post that bridge has produced many a nice trout!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
ICM: I'm just up the coast from you a little ways, and we've seen the same thing you're seeing. I was still catching good quality trout in main stem of New River through the end of October. That usually shuts down by the beginning of the month of Oct., but not this year. Next to nothing in all the "reliable" spots in the ICW, New River Inlet, Bogue Inlet. White Oak River has been turning out some pretty good catches, but the netters have started working it pretty good. From what I've observed, water temps have remained high, but most of the bait has cleared out. We'll see if these 5 straight days of hard N / NE winds, cooler temps and the rain forecast with TS Nicole will get that bite going next week. I've got a friend who has been fishing the Neuse River and tributaries below Oriental and a little bit out of the Pamlico. He was catching some very nice trout up there through the end of October, but hasn't been up there this month. Unfortunately the netters have been hitting that area pretty hard too. Reliable report of four pickup truck beds filled with specks hauled out early morning in the vicinity of Clubfoot Creek last week. That's right below the ferry line where there is a net ban intended to protect the struggling striper population in the Neuse. (No nets above that line). Pro commercial guys on the MFC are aggressively pursuing an end to that ban. Will be interesting to see what happens next week at the MFC meeting.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tell myself "Do not go down the netters vs recs rabbit hole. ...."
There's no easy solution to our poorly run NC fishery management....ICM

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
205 Posts
ICM...it's a losing proposition (going down that rabbit hole) so don't waste your energy! The easy solution is blocked as a function of intense lobbying by the industry. We (you and I) are just by catch as far as the MFC is concerned...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
ICM: That's one of the better aspects of this site, in spite of the reduced participation over the years. We don't go down that rabbit hole here, and though I have some strong opinions on the issue, I don't air them out excessively on NC Angler, even on the Conservation forum. Yet that rabbit hole exists, and there's a great big ugly rabbit down there. Without going on a big anti-netter tirade here (that's been done over and over and generally leads to nowhere) rec fishermen should know that there is a growing push among the pro commercial members of the Marine Fisheries Commission to adopt catch shares for speckled trout. Keep your eyes and ears open for that. Good fishing to all. I'm hopeful that with the cold weather predicted that the speck bite will turn on in the usual places for this time of year.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Small paddle tails on 1/8 oz. jighead / DOA 3.25 Shrimp ( red flake ) / Gulp Shrimp 3" white on 3/16 oz. jighead. Or Vudu Shrimp 3.5 oz.
Take your choice, they all work. Hold off on fishing MirrOlures or any hard bait with treble hooks until you master the basics.......
Hope this helps...... ICM

1 - 20 of 27 Posts