NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
ICM: I'm just up the coast from you a little ways, and we've seen the same thing you're seeing. I was still catching good quality trout in main stem of New River through the end of October. That usually shuts down by the beginning of the month of Oct., but not this year. Next to nothing in all the "reliable" spots in the ICW, New River Inlet, Bogue Inlet. White Oak River has been turning out some pretty good catches, but the netters have started working it pretty good. From what I've observed, water temps have remained high, but most of the bait has cleared out. We'll see if these 5 straight days of hard N / NE winds, cooler temps and the rain forecast with TS Nicole will get that bite going next week. I've got a friend who has been fishing the Neuse River and tributaries below Oriental and a little bit out of the Pamlico. He was catching some very nice trout up there through the end of October, but hasn't been up there this month. Unfortunately the netters have been hitting that area pretty hard too. Reliable report of four pickup truck beds filled with specks hauled out early morning in the vicinity of Clubfoot Creek last week. That's right below the ferry line where there is a net ban intended to protect the struggling striper population in the Neuse. (No nets above that line). Pro commercial guys on the MFC are aggressively pursuing an end to that ban. Will be interesting to see what happens next week at the MFC meeting.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
ICM: That's one of the better aspects of this site, in spite of the reduced participation over the years. We don't go down that rabbit hole here, and though I have some strong opinions on the issue, I don't air them out excessively on NC Angler, even on the Conservation forum. Yet that rabbit hole exists, and there's a great big ugly rabbit down there. Without going on a big anti-netter tirade here (that's been done over and over and generally leads to nowhere) rec fishermen should know that there is a growing push among the pro commercial members of the Marine Fisheries Commission to adopt catch shares for speckled trout. Keep your eyes and ears open for that. Good fishing to all. I'm hopeful that with the cold weather predicted that the speck bite will turn on in the usual places for this time of year.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts