NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
205 Posts
ICM....all the specks were in Swanquarter on Sunday....big rally, very big...largest school ever...all 12-13.5"!!

Seriously, we probably boated 100 all between 12-13.5"! Interestingly, right at 1530 hrs the larger keepers started to hit and we boated three within 10 min. The downside was I really didn't want to have to hit the ramp at dark so we ran after picking up the three quicks one. So there you have it...we had all the trout yearlings you could ask for!!

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
205 Posts
Hey Badankles....that's my old stomping ground! That bridge has produced many a keeper trout. One of the last times I fished it my shortest was 19" and I had two 22" in my limit....but ummmmmm....I helped two other guys fill their limits too. Midway the bridge, straight out about 20-30 yds using a Zoom Smoking Shad. The best fishing there is usually from 0400-0700 hrs on a falling tide. If you're not there by then, it's elbow to elbow when there's a good bite!

Where are you at? You do mean your first trout of the season, right?? If not, we gotta do something about that!

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
205 Posts
@TomnNC you know too much about the little bridge (officially the Melvin R Daniels bridge)...are you a local?

If not and you've never fished it, Stripers were always on the north side of the bridge which is now closed down due to a loss of life incident some 3-5 years ago. Drum usually congregate on the east end of the bridge...there's a shoal that projects out perpendicular to that end of the bridge with a deep hole on the east side of the shoal. Position yourself about 20 yards from the end of the bridge and cast at a 45-60 degree angle across the shoal. If the drum are there, you should find them hiding in that hole...if you don't get hit there bounce your lure across that shoal as the flounder tend to lay on the west side of it waiting to ambush bait coming across it. As for trout, usually the best chance was using soft plastic (Gulp, Zoom, Zeeman, etc) standing almost dead center of the bridge casting straight out 20-30 yards and then jigging in.

The best bite is early morning between 0400-0700 hrs. If you are there at 0400 look for Butch (our resident bridge troll) who is always fishing that bridge around that time. If there are fish biting and you ask nicely, Butch may put you on them. If for some reason Butch has moved on (he'll be under the high rise if he's not at the little bridge) look for Johnny (sporting a beat up orange baseball cap) who is usually there by not later than 0530 hrs (Johnny likes to sleep in). Those two guys are locals and if there's fish at the bridge, they'll know it. If you do meet either of the two, tell them Bruce gives his regards...yeah, I used to be the other bridge troll at that bridge. Butch and I would always be neck-and-neck to see who was on the bridge first and who caught the first fish.

Good times and yeah...as I noted in a previous post that bridge has produced many a nice trout!

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
205 Posts
ICM...it's a losing proposition (going down that rabbit hole) so don't waste your energy! The easy solution is blocked as a function of intense lobbying by the industry. We (you and I) are just by catch as far as the MFC is concerned...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts