NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I drove by the Little Bridge OBX and it was elbow to elbow trout catching. I wasn't ready to join although I doubt there were room to squeeze even if I had wanted to.

I'm still trying to hook my first trout. Was hoping to try this Friday but looks like the coming storm will nix that.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hey Badankles....that's my old stomping ground! That bridge has produced many a keeper trout. One of the last times I fished it my shortest was 19" and I had two 22" in my limit....but ummmmmm....I helped two other guys fill their limits too. Midway the bridge, straight out about 20-30 yds using a Zoom Smoking Shad. The best fishing there is usually from 0400-0700 hrs on a falling tide. If you're not there by then, it's elbow to elbow when there's a good bite!

Where are you at? You do mean your first trout of the season, right?? If not, we gotta do something about that!
Don't laugh, but I really meant first trout ever. Just staring to learn and get into the salt more. I find it a bit more challenging than the freshwater stockers... Haha

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Small paddle tails on 1/8 oz. jighead / DOA 3.25 Shrimp ( red flake ) / Gulp Shrimp 3" white on 3/16 oz. jighead. Or Vudu Shrimp 3.5 oz.
Take your choice, they all work. Hold off on fishing MirrOlures or any hard bait with treble hooks until you master the basics.......
Hope this helps...... ICM
Thanks. Looks like I got some shopping to do.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
@ice cream man , took your advice and headed to Atlantic Beach/Morehead City for a few hours. Hey, @cbruce41 , I hooked my first trout from the Newport River Pier. Waded a popular spot across the road, but unfortunately, lizard fish and blues were more interested in the plastic shrimps suggested.

Decided to hit the surf with a yugiro and got a keeper size trout. So happy. Same lure tricked a decent size blue then alls quiet after that. Spent remaining time with fresh shrimp on a double drop and fish finder. Puffer, black drum, puffer then the whiting started to hit as the sun disappear under the horizon.

This is the most I've ever brought home. So happy. Thanks for the tips guys which really helped.

Food Wood Cuisine Fish Seafood

1 - 6 of 6 Posts