NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alaska Hooks:

I hadn't heard of this term before. Thought I'd make a "What is" post to describe and make it easy to search...

Looks like a medium length, straight shank, large gap, heavy guage, large eye, J-shaped hook. Cabelas recommends them for replacing trebles with singles where local regulations require. Recently recommended as live bait hooks for bowfin fishing - strong & sharp enough to hook their bony jaws.

NCpierman's recent post referencing Alaska Hooks

Feel free to add/correct this description... Pics below:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
JEFF,
THESE ARE ALASKAN HOOKS ON THE RIGHT IN RED THE LEFT IS A CIRCLE HOOK NOTICE THE OFSETS IN THE ALASKAN? THE PACKAGE PIC IS THE BEST PACKAGE I HAVE AROUND AT THE MOMENT..........

THEY CAN BE FOUND AT WALLY WORLD FOR 7.00 A BOX THATS WITH TAX AND THERE IS 50 HOOKS IN A PACK.
THEY ARE EXTREMELY SHARP AND STRONG BUT I DONT CARE FOR THE EYE OF THE HOOK THE CAP IS TOO WIDE WHERE IT CURVES NORMALLY I PINCH IT CLOSER.
HOPE THIS HELPS THEY WORK GREAT ON HARD JAWED FISH FOR SURE ;)

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
JEFF, YES IT DOES LOOK FLAT AND IT DOES RESEMBLE A TRAILER HOOK OR IT COULD BE JUST AN OLE FASHION J HOOK CALLED SOMETHING NEW.
I MUST'VE MISPELLED ALASKAN A FEW TIME SORRY ABOUT THAT,WHEN I POST LATE NITE OR IN A HURRY IT HAPPENS .
I LOVE THE OFFSET OF THE ALASKAN HOOK I HAVE PICTURED AND TRUST ME WHEN THEY SINK THEY SINK DEEP MOST OF THE TIME I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO USE PLIERS TO REMOVE THEM.
THOSE CIRCLE HOOKS IM SHOWING ARE WHAT I NORMALLY ALWAYS USE ON RED'S AND OTHER FISH BUT THE MOUTH OF THE BOWFIN IS MEAN THERE JAWS ARE WIDE AND VERY HARD.
GLAD I COULD CLARIFY WHAT HOOK I WAS TALKING ABOUT ITS WORTH IT MONEY IN MY BOOKS.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Style is Siwash hook, short shank and outturned eye. Very popular for salmon-steelhead in the NorthWest rivers as it is easy to hide in bait. The outturned eye allows snelling or uni-know to hook shank rather than direct tie to eye (but I wonder how many bother with that with modern lines, even sub-8 pound in clear water). The Alaska in Cabelas is an open-eye hook, designed to be added to a lure or spoon and pinched shut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.