NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another in a series of attempts to describe new/interesting fishing tactics & lures. Feel free to add/clarify...

Shakey Head is a finesse technique for jig&worm bass fishing. The shakey jig head has 2 primary characteristics - it stands on end so that the worm is vertical in the water, and it has a post or screw that the head of the worm threads onto, so that the worm is well aligned for texas rigging at the hook point. (post is optional - you could thread the head onto the hook, but it will often ball-up when a fish takes the bait. anchoring the head off the hook allows the point to pull through the worm and increase hook-ups).

Usually used with a small, thin finesse worm, light line. Especially effective on highly-pressured fish.

The "shakey" part comes in with the presentation. Cast, let fall. Once the lure has settled, you jiggle the rod tip on semi-slack line, shaking the line - not enough to lift the jig head off the bottom, but enough to impart some wiggle to the head. Similar to how you work a drop shot bait. This makes the worm "shake". Lift or hop and repeat the shakes. Keep going till its back to the boat or otherwise out of the fishing zone.

Here's a pic of one brand of head - this one is post style. Some plastics work better with the screw-style.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Shakey Head = A process often teamed with various explicatives when a hookset is disengaged involuntarily.....:rolleyes:

Reactions: Coach D

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i love the screw style but the problem is one fish baits done.. we also fish them dead sticking.. just chunk and leave sit a bit then slowly drag it about 6" and wait some more..

it is a gawd awfully slow method but it works..

zooker

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
thanks to this thread, i've been giving the shaky (shakey?) head worm a try. caught a nice one this previous weekend on my first cast with the shaky-head -- 21"L x 14"G (ca. 5.5lbs). this seems like an esp. effective cold-water LMB technique when the bass go for lures with a slower presentation. altho i'm partial to baitcasters for LMB fishing, i really like using a spinning rig with the SH presentation -- i hold the rod with my right hand (i'm right-handed) and i think i can give the worm a lot more subtle action with my dominant hand/arm -- just leave a bit of slack in the line and shake and twitch the rod. 14lb braid enhances the sensitivity, but it seems i can feel even the lightest tap on the other end. once i feel it, i lower the rod, take up the slack and set the hook. has worked very well so far.

i do find that the SH design *seems* to get hung up more -- it's typically just the jighead stuck in rocks or structure, and *usually* a quick jerk will free it -- except when it doesn't.

thanks for the info -- joel

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Floating worms work great :D

While the weighted head keeps the jig on the bottom the rest of the worm will try to float up and will stand straight up off the bottom. Any slight jiggle of the rod tip will make the worm quiver like a live bait and bam ***fish on:cool:

tight lines <*)))))>{

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.