NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my first NC fishing license and get some bait/tackle and most importantly, advice on where to start. I have read the "guide to new fishermen" specific to jacksonville but i dont recall anyone mentioning a store to start at. I drive past eastern outfitters and it looks like a great mom and pop operation. Is there anything else around?

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
284 Posts
Rhoderick's quality tackle off ramsey road. Literally a trailer in the middle of nowhere, but he is a retired MGySgt of Marines and an AVID bass fisherman. He has a pretty decent selection of gear there (freshwater). Fair warning......he (and his son that works there with him) will talk your ear off so be prepared to lose at least an hour of your day! GREAT folks though. They also do engine/boat/trailer work/repair, as well as reel repair (depending on the brand, but he can pretty much fix anything).

·
Registered
246 Posts
I frequent Eastern Outfitters on 24, talk to Jr. Recently I have also visited East Coast Sports in Surf City and Tex's Tackle in Wilmington, I enjoyed both of them as well.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Eastern outfitters is ok as long as you get the right person. I try to avoid the employees if I can though. I much prefer east coast sports in surf city and ejw in morehead. Texs tackle in Wilmington is really nice but I didn't get to spend much time there because they were closing.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I hate to even post this but Dick Sports in Jacksonville probably has the best selection of Mirrolures especially in broken glass.

Eastern Outfitters has the best selection of DOA plastics and shrimp.

East Coast Sports in Surf City is great for everything but maybe not the best in one specific thing.

Dudley's is also a great spot.

The PX is great for MR 17's and MR 52's but they are limited with topwater lurers. They have a decent selection of plastics, popping corks, jig heads and shrimp.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tackle Shop on Ramsey - Never been in cant advise, heard good supply or freshwater.

Pumpkin Center have been in, limit supply but for starters should suffice with a mixture of saltwater and freshwater tackle.

Dicks probably the most rounded supply in the area of Jacksonville.

Eastern Outfitters off 258 isnt bad same as one off 17 in Hampstead or Hillstone, has good supply, cannot advice on staff knowledge though.

Main Exchange on base has great pricing for mirro lures and other basic tackle needs, no real staff knowledge.

Mom and Pop shop in Swansboro has more freshwater supply, good folks, but limited supply.

Dudleys is a great store, with plenty of people in/out to offer advice on fishing and the waters.

Reel Outdoors - Emerald Isle, saltwater supply, well stocked, knowledgeable staff.

EJW Morehead, good supply, knowledgeable staff.

West Marine, like dicks chain store but water oriented, some good folk in their, kinda pricey though.

Tex's Tackle Wilmington has good supply and stock, and knowledgeable staff.

Pretty much on the islands the shops are well stocked with good staff and Morehead and Wilmington have alot of tackle shops that are pretty well supplied and staffed properly. Have been into dozens of stores up and down our coast and have not been disappointed yet with the exception of a few and it wasn't their fault it was usually new mom and pop store not figuring out their inventory yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. I went to Eastern on 24 last night but there were only two employees and I couldnt get anyone to help me pick out the mirrolures I should use. I think I might try another place tonight. What are the top three mirrolures I should have for the surf and the creeks?

·
Registered
108 Posts
If your new to salt water a good way to learn and get the best bang for your buck is buy a smaller cast net, catch live bait. hooks, rigs and weights are cheaper than lures and rod setups. Just my opinion, good way to learn and understand fishing

·
Registered
117 Posts
P.S. only because I always wanted to say it, "What the crippled said".

Joking aside, learning live baiting techniques will be great especially when you consider you will start off by fishing and hooking into a wide range of fish. This will keep your interest peaked for a while and keep you wanting to know more. Then comes the building your own rigs.

Lures does kind of put you on a very specific path for particular types of fish and will require you to learn when to use one type of lure in one type of color for one type of scenario.

Either way, learn knots, learn to read the water and weather, and learn about the fish. They may not be smart, but they are far pickier than any wife at times, and we will spend a lifetime pursuing them, just don't tell the wives.

·
Registered
108 Posts
lol @ what the cripple said. I still to this day like to grab my cast net during late spring and all summer/fall long, catch live mullet/menhaden/shrimp and fish using live bait. IMO NOTHING will catch you fish as well as fresh or live shrimp under a float or free lined or off the beach with a weight. Be prepared to be fighting alot of pinfish, which are pretty great bait to throw on a hook and toss right back out as well as croaker on a bigger setup. Small bluefish work well too but you better have 300+ yards of line and be ready for a fight! As far as artificials go, stick with basic colors that match what live bait looks like when ya start. White black yellow gold red ect

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, its really helping me out. I actually have a livewell rigged to my kayak so I think i will give the live bait a try and have some shrimp as backup. Now I just have to figure out where to throw a cast net.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If your on base or can get on base there are numerous places along the ICW just be wary of oyster beds. One throw on one and kiss your net goodbye. Always check on a low tide before you pick a place to throw as any snags will be visible

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Agree totally about the cast net on oyster rocks. You can fix them with 30# mono line, or 20# works just fine. Make sure you tie good knots, otherwise you'll waste your time.

Eastern has a good supply of stuff. Don't get overwhelmed with different colors. Gonna spill the beans here:

New River: Anything green, or even all green. Electric chicken works well. Black & Gold, like a black back and gold bottom. The mirrolure 808 color is the best to go by for a description. All darker water, darker colors. PINK PINK PINK

Lower New River: With the color change, and clear water, brighter colors, for instance PINK PINK PINK in DOA shrimp, electric chicken, and white...anything white. Mirrolures with a white body and red head will work. Also anything that imitates mullet. Match the hatch and all. Don't go throwing a 9 inch top water bait when the bait is only 2 inches. It will work, but your hook up ratio will be better with something a little smaller.

So, the colors you should use are PINK, GREEN, WHITE, BLACK/GOLD, GOLD SPOONS. Try different variations, and look at your cloud cover. If its a bright sunny day, and clouds roll into the area, switch to something a little darker like gulp shrimp in the New Penny color. Red, pink and chartreuse jig heads should be the only color jig heads you have. PERIOD. You can have normal lead jig heads as well, just never saw a difference.

Places to go: PX on Lejeune has a great selection, I use Eastern Outfitters since we stay right down the road from there, walmart is decent (down boys, down, not startin on that) East Coast sports is GREAT!!! Theres also another Eastern Outfitters in Hampstead but I prefer the JVille one, EJW in Morehead is ok, Tex's Tackle in Wilmington, Neuse Sports shop in Kinston is great, and if you go to EX Bait & Tackle in Goldsboro, pack a lunch and plan to stay a while...like hours. There is about 30 tons of stuff packed in there! The outside is decieveing, but man...Great place.

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
" if you go to EZ Bait & Tackle in Goldsboro, pack a lunch and plan to stay a while...like hours. There is about 30 tons of stuff packed in there! The outside is decieveing, but man...Great place. "

There is about 1.5 mil in inventory there. Open 7 days a week. 7am to 7pm Mon thru Sat....Sunday 7am till 6pm. Closed 2 days a year, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

2049 Hwy 117S
Goldsboro, NC
{919} 736-2488
FBpage E-Z Bait and Tackle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.