NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to create a poll for this once our members post some threads on their opinions so I'll know what boats to put in the poll. What is your favorite fishing boat (size, make, model, rigging, etc.) and for what type of fishing (saltwater, freshwater, fly fishing, kayak, etc.). This is your chance to articulate your dream boat, how you have or would have it rigged and why you think it is the boat to have for your type of fishing. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lets see where to start.........Well here is my list in a not so organized way

40'+ Just about any large Carolina Boat...except the new big Albemarle:mad: :confused:

30'-40' Well reggie does make a pretty boat, as does Grady, Sea craft, Everglades, WC, Carolina Classic (my favorite, with diesels of course) Wellcraft, Cabo, Albemarle, Jarrett Bays CC (but I still don't know about those boys in Bridgeton) triton, Contender, Palmetto........I know I'm missing some, but that's the way it goes.

17'-30'.......Boy is this a decision maker right here...........Polar, Parker, WC, Regulator, Carolina Classic, Albemarle, Lookout, Contender, Fountain, Ken Craft, May Craft, Triton, Hydra Sports, Sea Craft, Wellcraft, Scout, Sea Pro.........oh heck...there's too many to list.

Yoou know NCangler, maybe we should break them down into categories, like......stream fishing, 3-50 miles, inshore, backwater, Down in the county fishing, Ding Batters, Dit-Dots, freshwater, dam fishing, stream fishing, creek fishing, mosquito chasin, what pulls best down Hwy. 45...I mean 55. Maybe a category on what boats are the most fun to watch dock at tide change with a SW around Morehead and vicinity.........or maybe which boats are most likely to run into the Oriental town docks. Maybe a poll on which ramp is better....Zuels or Scotters down three rights past lower bygone:eek: . (Which by the way is 4 exits past the edge of the earth on Oyster creek)

I'm not even oing to get started on the electronics and rigging I like on the boat. I don't have the time nor you the bandwidth to support that endeavor.:D

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay I guess I was stretching a bit to get some discussion going. :D This is a bit of an overwhelming task to break down isn't it. Thanks for taking time to list all those choices and the suggestions on other categories to consider. :)

Maybe we'll just forget the idea of a poll and let folks share any thoughts, start any threads or create any polls they want to on the subject. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 16 ft.alum.modified V,a 14 ft.x54 in.alum.john boat,a 14 ft.x48 in.alum john boat.a 17 ft.x36 in.Gruman Whitewater canoe,a 13 ft.Waterbug,a 12 ft.x40 in.sq.stern fiberglass canoe,a 8 ft.Gruman alum.dinghy,and a 13 ft.pirogue from the La.delta.Each is irreplaceable,for a certain kind of fishing.My alltime favorite was a 16ft.x6ft.cypress oyster bateau,with 1 in.planking and 3 ft.sides.My father cut the transom out to 16 in.and put me a 2 h.p.Evenrude Ranger o.b.motor on it.The "Santee Battleship"was born in 1954.P-W,or alfred.:p

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
maybe you should just put down a forum that is titled member's rigs.. post up a pic of your ride and add spec's..

zooker

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
al right i am really startin to like this site...:D

zooker

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree with zooker. Figured you already had something like this but I haven't found it. I like to look at other peoples rides and yes I'm proud of mine too.

1995 Astro powered by a 115 hp Mercury and a 50lb trust 24 volt Motor Guide trolling motor.

maybe you should just put down a forum that is titled member's rigs.. post up a pic of your ride and add spec's..

zooker

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Mine would be an 18-20' center console alluminum with about a 90hp on the back, gps/fishfinder combo, 75+lb thrust wireless 24 volt trolling motor. . . G3, Sea Ark, etc.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
288 Posts
This is a great topic! For me I'd have to weigh the practicality of 1 style over another. As I only have a 10' alum. jon boat right now, I'll start w/ the dream machine first. I've been on Ranger fiberglass beauties, & mod v fiberglass made for trolling deep ie: strippers/lakers and salmon.

But I find myself constantly mulling the pros and cons b/t an alum. welded hull ie: tracker, triton, g3 for the durability as I like to fish up close quietly in the junk and can see the durability of those verses say something lighter and sharper looking (IMHO)Carolina skiffs. I like the looks of the JVX series but upon looking and the deck room, there leaves a lot to be desired, especially for someone workin' the aft deck. I tend to play rough w/ my toys and a boat would be no exception. I'd probably go w/ 17' tracker like the Pro Team 175 w/ nothing bigger than merc 4 stroke 60 on the back. I don't need THAT much muscle around here. I'd probably upgrade the trolling motor to a 55# thrust w/ 2 fish finders. They'd be the same model of course probably nothng much bigger than an Eagle 320 or it's equiv.

Right now I'm setting up a newly acquired 10' jon w/ a 30# transom trolling motor on the transom. I plan on getting a bow mounted troller and a removeable 7.5 o/b for those farther to reach locals. I would like to get a couple of removable seats and Eagle320 on a removable plate to save the transducer in transport. It'd be nice to find a little bimini top for it on the back end but I don't expect to find it.

LH28

·
Registered
941 Posts
Well right now mine is a 17ft Javelin Venom bass boat. 56lb, 12 v trolling motor with a 90 horse johnny on back. Zercron flasher at the helm and a Hummingbird 565 at the front. But.... This Sat hopefully I will get my real dream boat. 2003 ProCraft Super Pro 200 dual console. It has a Eagle 642c /GPS at the helm and a Eagle 160 at the front. 71lb, 24volt trolling motor and a merc 200 efi on the back.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
i have a 16 foot stratos with a 50 horse yamaha on the back. eagle front and back..52lb 12volt moterguide...

i likely will buy a new boat in a couple years.. but it wont be a big boat.. my style of fishing don't have a place for a big ride..

zooker

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
mine started out as a 10ft flat bottom now im at a 12ftr and would love a 16 to an 18ftr for more room to get more soldiers out with me.
i preffer the flat bottom or modifyed v with a sizeable motor to get it on plane when i need it but it has to be at least 52 wide or better for the stability of it since some of the wounded i take need that stabiltiy out there to make em feel comfortable.
this is my current ride but it wont stop me from looking ;)
alumacraft 12ftr 48 6 horse gas that upgraded to a 25 but isnt legal,full casting deck on front and 2 seats perminant with the deck seat removable,32 pound trolling motor and live well..........

the rig in the middle is my new 12ftr and the one to the right is my old creeker reaper the 10ftr,if that boat could tell fishin storys it would never shut up ;)

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
The best boat is one that is paid for...:):):):):)

Mine is a 2001 Logic (Triumph) 186 Cool Bay Boat
150 XR6 Mercury
2 depth finders. 1 GPS. VHF radio..
24Volt Trolling motor....works sometimes....need a new one...maybe in the near future..(income tax???)

·
Registered
505 Posts
After alot of looking I went with an 1989 15' Boston Whaler for a number of reasons. For one it's unsinkable, and it can handle rougher water than I would dare to get out in. It's built better than most boats I've seen in any price range or age. It's pretty versatile for fishing, can be used for just about anything, fresh or inshore salt water. It has an 8" draft so I can get in the shallow stuff easily. The final selling point for me was the fact that it is fully depreciated already and will maintain or possibly increase in value since it is a bit of an 'enthusiasts' type boat. It ain't the fastest boat in the world but it will last longer than I will keep it.

I like a ride in a fast bass boat as much as the next guy, but to me they seem fairly limited usage wise, and generally way overpriced for what you get, particularly if you're looking at new ones. There are plenty of 20-40 year old Whalers still running around as solid as the day they were built and still bring great resale value, but most bass boats I've seen are pretty much junk after 10 years or more and you can hardly give them away.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts