NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am outfitting my new Jackson Big Rig. I have an anchor in a bag. It has the collapsible tines. The BR is setup with anchor management built in with the anchor going through the aft hole.

I do not like the thought of using the folding anchor as it will be poking into the kayak when not deployed.

I picked up a 4lb down rigger ball with tail. It pulls up into the hole well. So I expect no drag from it when up.

I am considering adding some chain to it so it has more surface area when deployed. But I will try it first and go from there.

What are you using for an anchor???

mikeski

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, That's the bag anchor I have.

I am of the impression that you pull that out of the water when not in use?

The Big Rig has hole in the stern that can be used for the power anchor pole. This hole is also available for use as an anchor port.

When the anchor is retrieved it actually dangles in that hole. I am worried about wear from those points when dangling in the hole. That's why I am trying the down rigger ball with tail.

mike...

·
Registered
718 Posts
I use a 3 ft length of 3/8"chanin covered with old bicycle inner tube. The anchor rope attaches in the middle giving me 2 1.5 ft lengths of chain.

Why chain? It rarely gets stuck in the rocky uneven bottoms I fish over. It is cheap!

Drawbacks? Yes, it does not stop you as solidly as mushrooms or folding type. Some of it is always in the water causing drag but if I need to cover distance, I put the whole thing in the boat.

http://www.derekspace.net/fishpic35.htm

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I used a collapsible anchor for a while, but I had problems with it holding sometimes in the wind or current. This is what I sue now:

This where I got the Idea and how I deploy it.
[video=youtube_share;-47vOJZe01c]http://youtu.be/-47vOJZe01c[/video]

I use the dog leash in less than 15 foot of water ( it is 24 ft) and the spool has over a 100' of 550 cord for deep applications. I also have two 3' lengths os chain, depending on the conditions.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Pay attention to how DeepBlu attaches his anchors. You want a strong attachment to the bottom and then a weaker one, like a zip tie, to the top so if it gets hung up you can yank hard to the side, break the zip tie and usually pull it free.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look at that. Not two alike. hahahah. They seem to cover all fishing environments from river to lake to ocean.

I will be doing mostly lake fishing. A slab anchor should work for me. I do want to do some intercoastal fishing. A claw type might be more necessary there. I will have to look at my claw anchor and see if it has the loop at the bottom.

I need to go to ACE and pick up a few things to complete my down rigger ball anchor.

mikeski

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.