NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught this at onslow beach on a windy day about two weeks ago with big breakers. Didn't expect to catch much and just had the line out while my kid played for the sake of having a line out. This little guy ripped my rod out of the sand spike and my wife swan dove on top of it before it went in the ocean. Took about five minutes to land. I don't know what kind of shark it is. It's about three feet long and kind of resembles a Juvenal hammer head, because the eyes are on a raised cartilaginous portion that sticks out from the head, but the shape doesn't seem right. I released it to live on and do shark things. what kind of shark is this?

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Are those common here? I moved here in 08 and this is the first time I've seen one of these. I've caught plenty of blacktips, sharpnoses, and sand sharks, but this was a surprise.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I've seen guys keep them and say they were good to eat. No thanks for me, they did not have a pleasant aroma emitting from the cooler.
Dogfish is pretty good to eat, but it's mandatory they be gutted on the spot, right then and there.
Something about filtering urine through their body or something urine related ruins the meat.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I don't even know why anyone would cooler a shark to start with. Cut him in half behind the anus. Everything forward is crab food.
I love shark steaks. Cut big thick steaks about 2" thoick with the skin on. Season each side with paprika or something of your choice. Cover both sides with a thick coat of mayo and throw it on a HOT grill. 2-3 minutes a side and it's done. The mayo keeps the moisture in the meat.

One of my favorite grilled fishes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.