NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of work boots do you wear? It seems some people are quite faithful with the brand they wear. I do lawncare and do a ton of walking. Lately I have been wearing a pair of Salomon backpacking boots because I was sick of wearing heavy heeled leather boots that don't breathe. They fit like a glove but not sure how durable they will be yet. It almost seems like the more durable a boot is the less comfortable and vice versa. I plan to give Danners a try if my current pair wears out too fast. Here is my current. http://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Conqu...543&sr=8-2&keywords=salomon+backpacking+boots

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I actually have found the tropical jump/combat boots from a military surplus store work well and last. They let your feet breathe and have a rigid sole and good cushion. I also like Redwing brand boots but they can be heavy.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I havent found a comfortable pair yet, they all feel heavy and uncomfortable to me, especially after a 12-14 hour day standing and walking on concrete, some days they come off as soon as I get in the truck. I have Timberland Pros now, had Wolverines last time and the same model Timberland Pros before that. I wish I could find a lightweight pair of boots that wear like New Balance tennis shoes, used to wear my New Balances at Lowes on concrete floors all day and rarely had sore feet.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Neil if you want a lightweight pair that wears like a pair of New Balance look into a pair if Bates Lights. They are definitely light. They however do not have the same support as a good heavy pair of boots. After 12 plus hours on a blistering hot flight line I prefer the Danners over anything else I've tried. That said I am restricted to Marine Corps boots and Red Wings are not in that category. The most comfortable pair of hunting boots I've ever owned were Irish Setters.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
I've heard great things about Danner! Haven't tried them yet. I know that Rocky doesn't make a product the least bit comparable to the products they used to make. Won't be buying anymore of those......

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I'm a Redwing man. Free shoelaces. The fitting.
I have the electrical construction boots and I wear their Worx brand low top safety shoe at work. Uppers and the sole hold up very well on the Worx model I wear.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
New Balance makes Dunham boots I have some I just bought so far-so good

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've had really good luck with Danner as well. I've had three pair over the years and they are my "go to" now. They make a wide variety from the sturdy rigid type to the flexible light type. Both have been very durable for me. Not sure if they still do, but hey used to have free return shipping too.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Danner and Redwing are great boots and I have owned several pairs of each. I also like Georgia's but if light and comfortable is the key then look into Keen boots.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I love Keen sandals but had bad luck with the boots. They were supposed to be waterproof but leaked and the sole came unglued in a month. Lots of bad reviews on them online now too. They are comfortable though.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of my friends tried Keen boots and said they didn't last. If the salomon boots i'm wearing now hold up I've got a real winner. They aren't cheap tho. They retail for 180.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I walk around 8-10 miles a day. Right now (in summer) I wear government issued desert combat boots which are light and breathe nicely. In the winter I switch to a pair of Carolina boots. Both pair of boots seem to be well built and have plenty of miles on them.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
The American made Redwings rock. Comfy, light, and durable.
Anything Redwing owns that I have encountered whether it's Redwing , Worx or Carrhart wears good and holds up. Having said that, even much of the Redwing name brand shoe line is now partially or wholly made in China. Straight from my Redwing man and the tongue of the shoes.
I don't have a problem with it, the quality is up there. Like I said earlier, I've gone to the low top Redwing WORX safety shoe. Light, comfortable, and the soles hold up real well. The concrete at work will eat Redwing boot soles like candy. My current pair of WORX is 18 months old, the uppers are in great shape and sole shows normal wear. A long way from another pair of shoes.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ever notice how topics other than fishing receive more attention? Ironic......interesting.
Its like I said people are pretty faithful to the brand of work boots they prefer. They aren't scared to share their opinion. Just like if you started a topic about Ford, Chevy and Dodge. It would get a lot of attention but people would know that Fords are the Best. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts