NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a kit to start with and am looking at [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Deceiver Rod and Kingfisher reel kit $220 from Basspro or a Encounter fly rod outfit from Orvis $159 both 8wt. Any suggestions?[/COLOR]

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd go with Orvis. Personal preference for many reasons. Have no experience with the Encounter series, but everything (Fly rods and reels) I've ever bought from Orvis has been excellent quality and they stand behind it.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
No experience with either. I didn't see any details on the Orvis reel....composite or metal???. Good price on the Orvis.
Also may want to look at the Redington combos...Crosswater outfit has been popular.
I considered that Crosswater; I have seen them and talked to people who have them and heard good things. I have seen some crazy good deals pop up on line for them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions I have that class Saturday and might have more info then. I do know the Encounter rod from Orvis does not come with their 25 yr warranty. Will at then Redington thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Im using a reddington path combo right now. Relined with some rio bonefish line. Im very happy with my purchase. Reddington also has great customer service and you can buy the rods by the sections if one breaks. Several sub teen carp and a few over 10 lb and some puppy drum to lower slot. I never feel overpowered with my 8wt and it cast great even with the original line which is good for most applications.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.