NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK we are using popping cork with DOA Do I put Mono Braided? I have a Mitchel 300Pro on a &ft Med rod .fishing icw around piers. Southport area.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
You jokers just cost me about $12 with this thread. Heading to Southport in the morning and just got back from BPS (the only local retailer with a decent salt water selection). Bought the popping cork trigger recommended and DOA shrimp. Will give it a try along with my usual techniques.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
You jokers just cost me about $12 with this thread. Heading to Southport in the morning and just got back from BPS (the only local retailer with a decent salt water selection). Bought the popping cork trigger recommended and DOA shrimp. Will give it a try along with my usual techniques.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Trigger cost me $40.00 :)

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
10-20 pound braid for your reel (I use 10) and 15 pound mono or fluoro leader material.
Question about the setup you've mentioned Trigger. In no way questioning the setup at all, just trying to understand. What benefit is there to spooling braid and have a fluoro leader? My reels are spooled with 10lb fluoro tied to the popping cork, then my leader is 12lb fluoro.
Trying to understand the benefit of having braid vs fluoro.

Inquiring minds would like to know :)

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Casting distance is much greater with braid than it is with mono or fluoro and in skinny water with spooky trout and reds that extra distance can mean the difference in catching one or two fish or catching 20.

Another thing about fluoro is that it sinks. So when fishing a Topwater lure it is a lot harder to do with fluoro than braid or mono.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Casting distance is much greater with braid than it is with mono or fluoro and in skinny water with spooky trout and reds that extra distance can mean the difference in catching one or two fish or catching 20.

Another thing about fluoro is that it sinks. So when fishing a Topwater lure it is a lot harder to do with fluoro than braid or mono.
Great! There goes another $40.00 :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use 15lb braid tied to a cajun thunder, with flouro below the popping cork so ditto what trigger said. The distance with the braid is nice, plus having no stretch, only annoyance is the occasional wind knot which sometimes demand a uni-to-uni fix for me.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Check dick's if you have one close by. They had a deal on some lines if you bought two. Regular price for flouro was 9.99. Instant rebate made it 7.99 each. Then a mail in rebate for 8 back

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
I spent $200 to get myself a surf Spanish setup based upon a thread I started myself- and it's caught exactly the same number of fish so far .....
I dropped $200.00, but haven't seen the same number of fish :) But I have managed to boat a few nice fish. I have yet to boat a flat fish though

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
and braid lasts for years not months. I too do braid and mono or flouro leaders.

Reactions: ChltBnks and RouseD

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
and braid lasts for years not months. I too do braid and mono or flouro leaders.
I presently do not have any reels spooled with braid, but I forsee it happening prior to next Saturday as I am Ocean Isle bound for a week :)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts