NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard that the Sportsmans Pier at Atlantic Beach is long gone. :( Spent many good days fishing there.

Heard also the Long Beach Pier is gone too. Was there just a couple summers ago.

Seems like all the good NC piers are gone.

Is the Iron Steamer Pier at Atlantic Beach totally gone now?

Thanks

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Heard that the Sportsmans Pier at Atlantic Beach is long gone. :( Spent many good days fishing there.

Heard also the Long Beach Pier is gone too. Was there just a couple summers ago.

Thanks
Yup - all three of those piers are gone. We still have three on Topsail Island though and they are good ones so come on down and fish on Topsail if you get the chance.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Triple Ess in Atlantic has been gone for some time now, not sure but I've been hearing conflicting reports about Bogue Inlet Pier. Anyone got the scoop?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Below is an email I received from the NC Pier Fishing Society concerning the vanishing piers along the Carolina coast. Interesting, good read.

Here is what I sent to a number of newspapers along the coast. The OBX Sentinnel ran it.

Save piers and other public access
As the Waterfront Access Study Committee (WASC) readies its final report on the waterfront diversity, the rest of us need to stop and take an inventory of actions that we ourselves can identify to preserve public access to the ocean.

The purpose of WASC is to produce a report and make recommendations to the Joint Commission on Seafood and Aquaculture, the Marine Fisheries Commission and the Coastal Resources Commission. They clearly have a huge task before them. Those of us who are staunch proponents of public access are on the edge our seats waiting for the report.

However, because of the scope of their assignment and the limited time they had to plunge deeply into the problems of waterfront access, we should not rely solely on the Commission to provide every solution. Instead, we should be looking for solutions closer to home. The first step is for coastal communities and counties to realize that that time is the enemy in the battle to stop access erosion. They must join access advocates in recognizing that we are all now at a coastal access tipping point.

In lieu of state action through the Commission, what can be done? The answer is plenty. For instance: why not initiate action to save our coastal piers while the pier is still luring fisherman instead of waiting for housing developers to take the bait? Why not act to protect those that stay in operation to preserve waterfront access before lucrative business decisions dictate the loss of access?

Counties and communities need to see this land as more than just a tax source. One pier owner told me that his county almost tripled his taxes for 2007. Additionally, because he purchased the Blanket Saltwater Fishing License for the pier as a means to keep the novice and casual fisherman as a customer, he added even more costs to his balance sheet. While a savvy business decision, it also detracts from his bottom line. The fact is his first 3000 or so permits sold on that pier are earmarked to recoup these taxes. The net result: an already small profit margin will be a lot smaller this year.

What is needed? A genuine understanding of the value of public access--among access owners and state and local agencies--would be a start. How could this relationship be fashioned while we await the Commission's report? Why not have days when all state and local officials grab fishing rods and join the coastal community angling from their local pier instead of casting lines from within the halls of government? It's good business and a nice photo opportunity--plus it will reinforce the necessity to preserve access.

Public access to the waterfront is everyone's business. So, as the time ticks away as we await the Commission's official report, we can be comforted that we are meeting the challenge head-on. We have our marching orders to go out and inventory what each of us can do to ensure that our children can enjoy the same waterfront access we have grown to love.

AL BAIRD, Founder of the North Carolina Fishing Pier Society, Fort Mill, SC

·
Registered
21 Posts

Thanks
YES, Unfortunately the only piers left near Atlantic beach is the Oceana pier, it's in pretty good shape, they charge $10.00 a head including a cover for the Saltwater license. Ironsteamer pier has been gone for about 4 years now. Bogue inlet pier is still there was there this morning for a visit, no poles, didn't see anybody catch anyfish or even get a bite. I guess the waters still too cool for the fish.. But pier fiahing is funny, either you catch fish or nothing.
Cheers,
bob K.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Fishing Reports

This is the site for Bogue Inlet pier. They update with good info almost daily.. Owner says he is having a tough time getting people to realize he IS still open for business and intends to stay that way as long as possible....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Northern Piers - Avalon Pier(Kill Devil Hills), Nags Head Pier, Outer Banks Pier (Oregon Inlet Rd), Rodanthe Pier, Avon Pier, Frisco Pier (Hatteras).

Cyrstal Coast - Bogue Inlet (Emerald Isle), Oceana Pier

Topsail Island - Surf City Pier, Jolly Roger Pier, Seaview Pier

Wrightville Beach - Johnnie Mercer's Pier (concrete)

Carolina Beach - Carolina Beach Pier

Kure Beach - Kure Pier

Southern Piers - Sunset Beach Pier, Holden Beach Pier, Ocean Crest Pier, Ocean Isle Pier, and Yaupon Beach Pier.

That is all that I know of at this time. All have phones and all have different prices, supplies and times. It is just a matter of picking one and gettin' there. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The bogue inlet pier is still there. it was on the market last year and some devolpers were planning on buying it but the deal fell through. The pier is still on the market but the owner of the pier said that the pier should be here atleast 5 more years. I have went down there 3 times in the past month and have cought come small blues and a bunch of sea mullet

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The Bogue Inlet pier deal fell through but I understand that it is still on the market, but Mike Stanley is trying to work something out with the town of Emerald Isle to make it into some sort of marine family center or something like that. I haven't fished Oceana in years. Used to fish Triple S and Sportsman's a lot. I went down in December and watched them dismantle part of the Sportsman's. It was kinda sad but then I headed out to Harker's island for the late Drum and Spec bite and all was good!

Mark

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey Mark! I couldn't remember all the ones that have gone, but I have fished most of the ones still open. Indian Beach Pier and Emerald Isle Pier are also gone. Pilings from EIP ae still out in the water. I once watched two brothers land a 100+ Tarpon on Indian Beach Pier. Good Luck the next two weeks, maybe the choppers will leave and let you catch those Cobia and Kings.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Hey! Don't forget about the old Iron Steamer. She was a great pier! I liked the Indian Beach pier also, always caught a lot of Pompano there for some reason.

It is just so crowded now on the Bogue Inlet pier being the only pier left on the island that sometimes it is not worth it. I would rather fish in the surf when I go to that part of the coast.

You can always go out to Radio Island public access and fish the inlet. Sometimes the fishing is pretty good there. We caught some Flounder and Puppy Drum there last year. I haven't fished it yet this year. Also, on the other side of the bridge from the Radio Island access road is a good place and they just completed the extension of the public pier there and it runs almost out to the channel now.

The best spot is at the end of Radio island where they used to land naval ships but it has been closed off to the public for several years. I caught a lot of fish there.

Mark

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.