NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I used to use Reel Butter or the Penn products but I bought this synthetic oil off ebay called Liquid Bearing and like it fine for much less money. And I use Cal's Universal reel and drag grease. I think the most important thing of all is that you keep a reel clean and freshly greased/oiled with lubricants made for reels. It's only when you are trying to get every extra inch and maximum protection that brand comes into play. I used Vaseline or wheel bearing grease and 3 in 1 oil for decades, and it did ok as long as I did it often.

Reactions: drjon and RouseD

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
yea i too like the ardent reel butter far as a lighter grease goes, its great for some reels, but some end up needing a thick penn blue to get the job done. For oil other that q hot sauce, i love this Rd50 ultra cast stuff i got online, with teflon ptfe. Comes in a pen type devise perfect for carrying in a tackle box, it applies easy as well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use Cal's universal on all my drags and on some gears. I also use Ardent reel butter, Quantum Hot Sauce, and Reel Saver grease. As far as oils I use Reel Saver oil, Ardent oil and Ardent bearing lube which cleans out bearings as well as lubes them. I also have rocket fuel yellow oil, hot sauce oil. I use different oils and greases on different reels. Quantum reels get the hot sauce, my Okuma Andros reels I use Cal's as that's what they originally came greased with. All my other reels I use Reel Saver grease, I have used it for over 10 years and it has been really good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.